Societal Issues with Religion | Teen Ink

Societal Issues with Religion

April 9, 2014
By purpleiris123 BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
purpleiris123 BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not."


As a Muslim girl who lives in a place like Elizabethtown, Kentucky, where there are barely any Islamic people, I feel extremely alone and depressed. I try my best to fit in with the people who have another faith or belief such as Christianity and Buddhism. I do not make a fuss about who to stick with or who to talk to because I respect every religion and their rules. I understand and try to learn about another belief, but when the pointer turns to me, I am asked where I am from, and told that my people caused the attack of nine eleven. I am at a place where I have no one who can fight for me, so I have me alone to defend myself. I feel lost, alone and scared because of those kinds of questions, yet I know that I have nothing to do with this because I wasn’t even born at that time. I was never strong enough to speak up, until now. Now I have more knowledge of “Human Rights,” and know that I am not to be questioned, nor compared to people who have caused a terroristic attack, a sin I have not caused, nor am connected to. My thoughts and feelings about my experiences have led me to a conclusion. People should be more respectful of another religion.

To some, religion is life, and to others religion is meaningless. No matter what your reasons are you must respect the people with faith and religious beliefs. Here is why. In countries all around the world, adults, teens, and especially kids are bullied because of their faith. Studies have shown, about one out of four kids are criticized due to their spiritual beliefs. Religion based bullying cause people to question their belief. This type of bullying also causes negative flashbacks to an event that has been long forgotten. According to a website bullying leads many youngsters to harm themselves by drinking, using illegal medications, and even suicide to get rid of the pain. Many children around the world are mistreated and misunderstood because of their religion. They are called names, and told harsh-negative words that could leave a permanent mark in the individual’s thoughts. Adults do not face this challenge as much as kids because kids are the ones to go to school on a daily bases.

Reason two for why the religion of another must be respected. When a person is not respected or is criticized, he or she has automatic formation of rage. Of course, the amount of rage depends on what the topic is. In this case its religion. Yes, criticizing or talking poor about another religious faith can cause rage. This rage can slowly turn into a goal. From what I experienced this rage is very hard to get rid of because of the intensity. This major anger can cause people to commit a crime. Some do drugs and drink alcohol. Luckily none of these happened to me. If you read newspapers and watch television, than you probably have noticed that the world has more rage-based murder than any other. As it has already been said, making fun of another religion can easily cause issues in our society. An example of causing rage was when the public was arguing about not allowing a mosque (a building where Muslims go to pray in) anywhere close to ground zero due to the fall of the Twin Towers . This makes Muslims think that they are not accepted in that certain society. When I learned of this event I was shocked. I couldn’t believe that people had to fight to be able to build a place for individuals to go and pray in because of a terroristic scene. This, highly violated the constitution, and definitely affected my thoughts about societal issues with religion.

Religion; Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and etcetera, they are all to be respected. There are too many people in the world today who do not talk kindly about a religion, other than their own. This cause people to not trust, or support, and feel open to or around others. This is my third reason. Individuals are less confident about themselves, mostly because of the criticisms they receive from people. As usual people choose to stick to their own kind; group of people with the same religion. According to a survey taken, out of ten, six kids decide to stick to friends with the same faith (thegaurdian.com). This shows that the difference of understanding another belief can easily cause separation in communities. People do not hang out with others because one does not understand another’s religion. When a person is uncomfortable around people of different religions, they do not share their thoughts with others. That is when the length of our knowledge about the world and its people becomes limited. This, my dears, is a major issue. It is said that one out of twenty kids are not allowed, by their parents, to hang out with peers with another religion . This is proof to show that parents do not take the time to talk or give their kids a chance to learn and understand another religion. What they don’t get is that they are preventing their kids from absorbing knowledge from the real world.

Is it possible for you to respect a religion different than yours? Yes, no, maybe, so? You might say, yes, because you grew up around people of another religion and you respect that. You might say, no, because you think they are wasting their time on a topic that is totally false. You might say, maybe, because you have friends of another religion but you still think that faith and religious beliefs are false. Last but not least, “so”, you might say, so, because you are neither against nor for them. The main point is that it is possible but difficult for you because of the personalized society we have today. People express their thoughts so easily that they do not give a second thought to the words they speak. Many do not understand the importance of religion in another’s life. Some people devote their entire life to their religion. Being judged or talked negatively because of the individual’s religion can cause mental irritation such as sorrow or rage. After I was bullied because of my faith, I wanted to tell people that they should not disrespect or misjudge me because of a terroristic sin. A sin that people I don’t even know have caused. Religions, beliefs and faith are actually very helpful. It is one of the few ways we keep peace on Earth. Most religions support the idea of peace, serenity and innocence. This prevents fights that could have taken place, but didn’t. Religions talk about people being environmentally responsible. That is probably why our environment is at least this clean. If we keep disrespecting another’s religion, the treasure inside will forever stay unseen.

Society should try to respect a different religion. If people do not show respect to another’s faith, than the religious people can be hurt. Individuals can be in a situation that may cause damage to their own lives, for example, doing drugs. Drugs leave people wanting more, the person becomes distracted from the fact that it is very unhealthy for the human body. Disrespecting or misunderstanding a religion can cause people to close doors on others. Some people are less confident about themselves because they are differentiated from the society due to their faith and religious beliefs. To prevent these issues we must try to learn about different religions before we talk about them. This is one way our words will have more value to be listened to, and understood, especially, from a positive perspective. We should also try to prevent separation of different religions from society. We can do this by letting them have the freedom to celebrate and carry on their culture peacefully anywhere legally possible. These ideas, I assure you, will rapidly decrease the amount of rivals we have against citizens and countries. Letting the religious live without fear or concern for security is what we should do. All of these come to the conclusion that we should respect the religions that are different than ours.











.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because i have experinced difficulties with religion in different places. Not everyone takes certain religions in a positive way, and that causes separation. I wanr my readers to understand that no matter the differece, never miss the chance to know someone unique.