Kate Chopin: The Feminist Leader | Teen Ink

Kate Chopin: The Feminist Leader

By 16HaleyGirdler BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
16HaleyGirdler BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

"The feathers don't define the bird"

Kate Chopin was an author born into the era of Civil War and a very big question floating around. The Women’s Rights Movement was in full swing during her lifetime. The question was if women should gain rights in voting. Up until then, only white men could vote in the election. Kate Chopin was one of the women that helped ramp up the rally for Women’s Rights.

Kate Chopin was born in 1850 and was mostly raised by the females in her family. Her father died when she was very young and was raised by her mother and grandmother after the accident. Her grandmother died in 1863 and her brother died a few years later. After her first marriage, her second husband died in 1882, which made her a window by the age of 32. Her mother died a few years later, which devastated Chopin, since she was the closest to her mother. Losing her grandmother and her mother was what inspired her to start writing. Most of Chopin’s books are normally about a woman, who goes through a great tragedy and has a sticky plot involving a man. Her works also showcase a great deal of irony and a surprise ending.
The Woman’s Rights Movement helped inspire her works as well as the struggle her mother and grandmother went through. She loved the idea of having a strong female character who showcased how women should be. She was so inspired that she decided to help spread the word. Her most famous works that helped spread the word were The Story of an Hour, Madame Celestin and Desiree’s Baby.
In Madame Celestin, the main character, Madame Celestin, has a friend named Lawyer Paxton. Madame Celestin wants a divorce from her husband, who doesn’t support her and the Lawyer is very interested in helping his friend. Eventually, Paxton falls for Madame Celestin and almost marries her until her husband returned and the idea of divorce was crushed. This writing shows how her husband was controlling her and how she needed him to support her, even though she did not want to be with him. Desiree’s Baby blends the movement with racism, which was still a common thing in Missouri where she lived. Desiree is an adopted child with nothing known of her background. She eventually marries a man named Armond, who is a slave owner. Once she had a child, they both notice that her baby is of a mixed race. Armond is disgusted and sends Desiree and her baby away. Desiree is never heard of again and we find out that Armond is actually the one of a mixed race, not Desiree. All throughout the story, Desiree is desperately trying to work things out with her husband, as he is the love of her life, whereas for the man, it wasn’t real love. Things took a new twist in The Story of an Hour. The main female character has just learned of her husband’s death. At first, she is broken and weeps in her room. But, then she realizes that without him, she can live a life for herself, not for another person. She can finally be free and happy.
Her books are what also helped spark the Women’s Rights Movement and bring new light to the ordeal. Her books inspired many women to take a stand and be independent. You don’t need a man to support you and you are strong enough to support yourself! During her lifetime, woman were treated as an object to men. Almost like a property of sorts. They had to listen to the man and couldn’t really be their own person. Kate Chopin hated the idea and was actively against it.
Today, her books are still inspiring women across the globe. Even with our rights gained, we can be independent on our own. We don’t need a man to keep us going and we can all be strong together!