Online Abuse is Still Abuse | Teen Ink

Online Abuse is Still Abuse

April 2, 2014
By Anonymous

Almost every adolescent has access to the internet nowadays and most of them have a mobile phone. Therefore it is not surprising that cyberbullying, or bullying through these new technologies, is increasing. To put cyberbullies to a stop it is necessary to know who they are, what they do, and why they bully. That was the reason for a study in which we interviewed adolescents on their experiences with cyberbullying.Information about cyberbullies was obtained by interviewing 61 adolescents between 12 and 18 years old via MSN Messenger. Cyberbullies, cybervictims, adolescents who were both, and adolescents who had witnessed cyberbullying, all talked about a cyberbullying event.Digital communication has created a new way to bully. This may enable some adolescents to become bullies, who might not have been bullies otherwise. Are cyberbullies simply traditional bullies who use new methods to bully or are they a new group? Cyberbullying and traditional bullying are related.

Almost 70% of cyberbullies also bullied in real life (“allround bullies”). Of them, more than half bullied the same victim in both ways.

The remaining 30% of cyberbullies bullied only in the cyberworld (“pure bullies”). Cyberbullies do have experience with traditional bullying, however only as a bully; they had little experience with victimization.

What differentiated “pure cyberbullies” from “allround bullies”? Pure cyberbullies did not match the profile of a ‘typical’ traditional bully, who is often dominant, popular, but disliked. In addition, they were less dominant and deviant than allround bullies. These results support the idea that a different group of adolescents is able to bully in cyberspace. Pure cyberbullies do not have to be ‘tough’ to be able to bully. However, pure cyberbullies also shared characteristics with allround bullies. They did not differ in levels of empathy, social intelligence, relational aggression, or school achievement. Neither did they differ in the motives for their bullying behavior.

Even though cyberspace lends itself perfectly for bullying by unknowns, as in traditional bullying, many cyberbullies were peers close to the victim such as classmates, friends, and schoolmates. Cyberbullies were more often boys, while cybervictims were most often girls.The cyberbullies bully because of Peer acceptance and jealousy were common motives. For girls, jealousy was often related to cliques. A best friend would meet someone outside their clique; as a result the girl would cyberbully her together with the other girls of the group.
A revenge motive was also frequently mentioned, for example, to get back at someone who said something out of line at school to the cyberbully or a friend of the cyberbully. Friends or romantic couples took revenge after a rejection or break up of their relationship.

Entertainment and the need for resources were mentioned, but not often. Adolescents who were motivated by getting control over resources commanded their victim to make their homework.
Dominance, self-esteem, attention getting, and venting personal problems were mentioned very infrequently.We can stop cyberbulling by Cyber bullying often takes the form of one person harassing another through emails, instant messages, text messages or other modes of electronic communication. Harassment is taking place if the bully is directly contacting someone with one or more of the following types of messaging:

Hateful or threatening verbal messages. This includes name-calling, attempts to control someone's behavior by threatening to expose embarrassing information and/or threats of violence.[1]

Embarrassing or threatening images.

An unending barrage of emails, instant messages, or texts, whether or not they are threatening in nature.

Lies about the person to make them look bad.Another common form of cyber bullying happens when the bully harasses a target by way of public embarrassment, rather than directly contacting him or her. Cyber bullies may use these public tactics:

Posting humiliating messages on a social media site, a blog, or another public space.

Spreading rumors and gossip using social media, text messages and other tools.

Sharing pictures that are embarrassing or explicit in nature, or are altered with the intent to humiliate, on social media websites and through text messaging.

Creating a website filled with defamatory images, insults, and rumors about the target.In some cases the bully may create a screen name nearly identical to the screen name used by someone, then use that name to create embarrassing or threatening situations for him or her.[3]
The bully may steal the target's password, hack his or her accounts, and send embarrassing message to others or make expensive purchases.

Be safe and prevent from cyberbullies!!!!

"Unless and until our society recognizes cyber bullying for what it is, the suffering of thousands of silent victims will continue".