Community Service | Teen Ink

Community Service

April 1, 2014
By phoenix1 BRONZE, Smithtown, New York
phoenix1 BRONZE, Smithtown, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Community service is something that everybody should’ve experienced at least once as teenagers. It shows you the value of having responsibilities. Even the school asks teenagers about the community services that they provided to their community. I used to think that volunteering for the community would be fun and easy going until I experienced it and it changed my views on community service.

Firehouse, firefighters, fire, and anything related to that I was interested in. I thought it was interesting to go and watch the firefighters. I saw them fight fire once and I was amazed at what I saw. The courage they have to fight against fire to protect some stranger they never met in their life. Firefighters with that personality are to be respected and they certainly have my respect. I always wanted to be a firefighter. They are awesome because they fight against fire, save people’s life and walk out of a building like a boss while the building in the background is on fire. As time passed, my obsession to be a fire fighter faded. However, I decided to volunteer at the firehouse and see what it is like to be around firefighters. I went to the firehouse with my papers filled out and I was pretty nervous. The guy asked me a few question and then took me for a tour in the fire house. He showed me a lot of cool stuff but I was interested in one very specific activity that every boy wants to do in a fire house. Slide down the pole. Next day I started to see some firefighters do their regular exercises. The exercises seem pretty easy to me yet I couldn’t keep up with them. I thought volunteering at a fire house would be fun but it is filled with responsibilities that they have to keep their community safe. This showed me that community work should be taken seriously because other people are depending on you. The community is depending on you. Either you’re volunteering at a library or for the elderly people. It should be taken seriously because the old people are fragile and they need to be provided with good care. The library people walk in with the expectation to get the right research and if books aren’t in the right spot, it’ll be tough.

Overall, you need to realize that volunteering is fun and all yet it comes with responsibilities that should be seen before the slacking off and having fun. I thought that volunteering for a firehouse could be fun and it absolutely is but the responsibilities are significant that I had to take care of it.


The author's comments:
it is about community service and how my views on it changed.