An Argument Against School Uniforms

There is an ongoing discussion in this nation about school uniforms, whether or not they help with behavior problems, and increase test scores. As an eighth grade student at Delta Middle School, I do not want school uniforms. In this paper I will present the argument against wearing school uniforms. I will include, personal opinion and will also site research.

Kade A., a sixth grade student, when asked about school uniforms said, “No, I don’t like them, because they are uncomfortable, and make you feel like you are in your church clothes all the time.” Daycen J., another student said, “I don’t like school uniforms because they take away student’s individuality.”

Dr. Alan Hilfer, senior psychologist in Brooklyn’s Children’s and Adolescent Unit at Maimonides Medical Center states:

"Clothes are a source of expression for children, and as kids get older, they become increasingly resentful of uniforms….By instituting a uniform policy, schools are taking away kids’ individuality--- schools need to decide if that sacrifice is worth making.”

Dr. Hilfer is talking about whether taking away student’s individuality is worth the payoff of decreased behavior problems, and increased test scores. A study done by David L. Brunsma , University of Alabama and Kerry A. Rockquemore of Notre Dame, entitled Effects of Student Uniforms on Attendance, Behavior Problems, Substance Abuse, and Academic Achievement, showed that uniforms did not lead to an improvement in these areas. Their conclusion was:

“Student uniform use was not significantly correlated with any of the school commitment variables such as absenteeism, behavior, or substance use (drugs). In addition, students wearing uniforms did not appear to have any significantly different academic preparedness, proschool attitudes, or peer group structures with proschool attitudes than other students.”

One area that might be of concern is the lessening of gang related problems, and fashion wars. A study published in 1995, by Lillian O. Holloman, a clothing and textiles professor at Virginia Polytechic Institute and State University, entitled Violence and Other Antisocial Behaviors in Public Schools: Can Dress Codes Help Solve the Problem? explores the problems the students can get into because of the way they dress. The study says:
“Gang colors and insignias, whether worn intentionally or unintentionally, can get a student jumped or worse. Status clothes, such as team jackets of professional sports teams, leather coats and designer sneakers, have led to thefts, sometimes by knife or at gunpoint.”
This may be true in some areas of the country, such as low-income, inner city areas, but I do not believe this to be true in the Millard County School District. I cannot recall any accounts of violence against students caused by a student’s clothing selection. I believe that before you put into action a school uniform policy based on such fears, you need to take into account the area the school is in, the economic level of the population, the number of people involved in gangs and the amount of gang related activity in the community.

Most of the articles that I have read about whether wearing school uniforms changes behavior and increases test scores, are inconclusive. Most of the time other rules are put into place along with the school uniforms, which may lead to a desired behavior. However, the uniform itself cannot be entirely responsible for the change.

Middle School/ Junior High is a time of maturing, physically, mentally, academically, and emotionally. Schools need to create an environment that encourages students individuality and motivate them to challenge themselves and inspire self confidence. I feel that school uniforms diminish creativity and self expression.

References

School Uniforms: Pros and Cons. Ann Svensen. http://School.familyeduction.com/eductional-philosophy/individually/38676.html

A Mixed Bag of Uniform Research. American associations of School Administrator. http://aasa.org/publicactions/content.cfm?

Scientific School Uniform Research. http:/www.gate.net/rwms/UniformsBrunRock.html/

harrypotterfangirl123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 28 at 7:24 pm
Very well written and valid. I personally like uniforms because of the style, but that's my form of self-expression. All kids should have that right.

WriteFreakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 29 at 4:06 am
Very well written. I moved to England, and when I did, I hated uniforms. They're also mad expensive!!! It's also annoying for a tomboy like me. Guess who has to wear dresses in the summer.

Tharru said...
Jun. 8 at 6:20 am
Hye guys ..I really loved this essay I can totally relate this to my situation in my country rite nw ....we are forced to wear their (paper-like) uniforms evan high school students!!!!!......hmm anyways is this a factual article essay?

Some one said...
Mar. 30 at 10:17 am
People also had to pay for them because school just want money and they can't provide the. For you

surya_k said...
Jan. 29 at 9:37 am
Our school has uniforms. Our whole country does. Since there's a significant gap between the rich and poor, an old leader made uniforms compulsory.

Oceanofheroes? said...
I have a school uniform. It's already pretty constricting, but on Wednesdays we have a formal uniform that's worse. The shirt feels like paper (not exaggerating at all) and the shorts the girls have to where under the skirt are uncomfortable and tight. Also, the uniforms aren't right for some people's body types. It makes some girls feel bad about their bodies. I think that this argument is really good and I can definitely relate.

Clorox said...
TRIGGER WARNING ON ARTICLE

mtolhurst57 said...
Next time back up your belief, why do you believe it diminishes one's creativity (wearing uniforms), otherwise it was a well written article.

Jose Foxes said...
Thanks for helpful reading about my essay is argumentative essay before semester and I agree with you.

I.Am.Shyia said...
Today at my school, we had to do an argumentive essay against school uniforms. My group says that wearing uniform decreases our individuality and INCREASES bullying. We should all embrace our uniqueness and are uncomfortable. My name is Ashyia and I am in sixth grade.

Clorox replied...
TRIGGERED how can it increase bullying and who would be bullying i find that to be a ton of bs

DarknessIsForeverWithMe said...
I use to wear uniforms in my old school and they do take away a students individuality. My new school doesn't have uniforms lucky but I can totally relate to your article you did a great job.

babytaytay replied...
lucky u I still have to wear a uniform

shopandsing16 said...
I don't like them they are restricting

MikeLiberty said...
I would've mentioned that it's fascist.

ConHusky replied...
Aug. 10, 2016 at 2:29 am
its anything but fascist it installs a sense of communism because they state that uniforms make everyone equal because everyone is dressed the same which is like communism except communism doesnt work because not everyone conforms to that idea just like most people in this thread

williscodi said...
I wear a school uniform everyday and it’s uncomfortable to wear. I would like to go to school and be comfortable while I'm doing something i don't like to do. As it says in the passage, “ by instituting a uniform policy, schools are taking away kids’ individuality.”

itss.hallee said...
An Argument Against School Uniforms I am a 10th grade student who also disagrees with the decision of making kids were school uniforms. I agree with possession of school uniforms takes away a students individuality. "Clothes are a source of expression for children, and as kids get older, they become increasingly resentful of uniforms…” This article is one that needs to have the attention state wide . Thanks for writing this.

mariyahm-- said...
“I do not want school uniforms,” I disagree with this issue because I think that wearing school uniforms is unique, and that it makes the school look well organized. This can relate to me as a student because I don’t have a problem with wearing a school uniforms because that means that I don’t have to wake up in the morning or have to find clothes that night for school the next day. "Clothes are a source of expression for children…” I understand that, but the kids can express themsel... (more »)

2brumfielda said...
Nov. 4, 2015 at 10:01 am
Being a student myself, I completely agree with the argument against school uniforms. “I feel that school uniforms diminish creativity and self expression." It’s true because uniforms destroy a student’s style.