Feeding the Homeless Filled Me | Teen Ink

Feeding the Homeless Filled Me

March 26, 2014
By Marlee Middlebrooks BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Marlee Middlebrooks BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It takes a lot to step outside of your comfort zone, place yourself in an uncomfortable environment, do something you don’t do very often, and try your best not to be afraid to engage yourself in a different circumstance; however, sometimes it’s necessary. Stepping into an unfamiliar environment, I headed to the streets of downtown Atlanta to feed the homeless.

Every Monday night, I meet with a group of girls from my church, McDonough Christian Church, and our Bible study leader. Each week we discuss a chapter from a novel we are reading, but there is more to our discipleship group than novel discussion. As suggested by our leader, we decided to participate in service projects and reach out to those less fortunate.

We joined forces with a lady from Eagle’s Landing Baptist who had experience working with the homeless in Atlanta, and headed downtown. The trip became an experience I will never forget.

In order to prepare, we asked for donations ahead of time (money, food, clothes, toiletries, etc.). We anxiously waited as items were slowly received. However, the day before the trip, our car was loaded full. This was God’s timing.

We met at Wal-Mart early Saturday morning and purchased many more items with $100 in donations. When we reached the register and purchased the items, we received $10 in change allowing us to purchase a few last items. This was God’s plan.

After the Wal-Mart extravaganza, we headed way to Atlanta. During the ride, we shared our nerves and hopes and tried to prepare ourselves for what we were going to see, but nothing could prepare any of us for what was in store.

Hundreds of homeless were everywhere. Young. Old. White. Black. Men. Women. Big. Small. Even cross dressers. You name it, and they were there.

There were also tons of church groups and organizations set up with tables of food and information. We soon found ourselves behind a table, wearing gloves, serving food.

The line to get food began and seemed to never end. I found myself serving green beans to the ones who wanted them. I smiled at each person I encountered, said hello, and offered them what I was serving. Everyone was different: some asking for green beans in a bowl, or on a plate, or with their rice. Almost all were grateful.

The most touching thing to hear people say was, “I’ll take everything you can give me. I don’t care what it is because it is all going to the same place. Thank you.”

I had to take a step back as I realized how often I seem to serve myself a bowl of selfishness. I don’t want my food to touch. I don’t want leftovers. I can be so ungrateful. I learned a great deal from the people I was serving. This is what God had in mind.

After serving for awhile, I began to recognize the people. A hat or a shirt would catch my eye, and I knew someone was coming back for seconds or even thirds. This might be their only meal of the week.

These are the things that we don’t think about, and the ones that break my heart the most. I can’t seem to grasp how it is possible to live on one meal a week, but many of them do.

Towards the end of serving, as the beans were running low, the rice was running out, and the cornbread was gone, my heart became even heavier than before. I dreaded having to look somebody in the eye and say that there was no more.

I tried so hard to scrounge up the last green bean even if the person only got less than a spoonful. However, the time did come where we sadly had to say there was no more.

But this didn’t last for long because a small miracle occurred. We were wiping down the tables when another group of people came running over to us throwing down more food.

Chips, bread, and crackers galore. The table was full again. This was God’s blessing.

I started crying and I couldn’t control my emotions. How did this just happen?

There was no time for tears; we were busy passing out food for the second time. After everything was distributed once again we were able to say that our work was done.

We gave up our sleep for something much more worthy. We became a part of the lives of the homeless, even if only for a couple of hours.

I can only thank God for the opportunity I had, and I cannot wait to go back soon to Atlanta again to feed the homeless.