The most easy and harmful way people bully | Teen Ink

The most easy and harmful way people bully

March 26, 2014
By Caitlyn Harper BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Caitlyn Harper BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How would you feel if you were constantly harassed or embarrassed online? Unfortunately, there are many kids who experience cyberbullying. Across the country, many kids have been bullied online which can lead to many disastrous consequences. It is a significant problem in our world, and it is time for us to make a change.
According to the U.S Department of Health and Human Resources, cyberbullying is bullying that takes place using electronic technology, usually to send hurtful or harmful messages. About 43% of all kids have been bullied online, and 70% of students report seeing frequent bullying online. These messages can be posted anonymously, so it is hard to determine who the real bully is. Targets who experience this form of bullying continuously begin to use drugs and alcohol, struggle in school, experience in-school bullying and become depressed. When someone becomes depressed, they often feel hopeless, helpless, and worthless. It hurts victims physically and mentally. These are just some of the effects of cyberbullying.
There are many examples of cyberbullying stories. One that stood out, was the story of a young girl named Rebecca Sedwick. Rebecca was 12 years old and was constantly bullied in school and online. The harassment kept getting worse and worse. Eventually on September 9, 2013, Rebecca committed suicide. Young kids are committing suicide or harming themselves because of online bullying. This shows that cyberbullying is a huge problem in our society, and it needs to be stopped.
Finding a solution to this problem, isn’t so easy. There is not one thing that is going to entirely stop this social injustice. However, there are many ways that this can be prevented. One thing that could be done, is to educate kids about this problem. Kids need to be taught about cyberbullying and need to know the consequences. Schools and the community could form stop-bullying groups or anti-bullying programs for students, teachers, and parents and come together to make their community a better place for all kids. The parents also need to take a role in this because no one should have to go through cyberbullying alone. If parents are aware of what their kids are doing, this may help prevent the problem.
Technology can be used both positively and negatively. When used incorrectly, it can be very hurtful or harmful to the victim. Kids do not deserve to feel harassed, embarrassed or like everyone is against them. Cyberbullying is a serious matter, and that is why it is time for us to make a change.