Respect for Afghan Women | Teen Ink

Respect for Afghan Women

By e2000 SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
e2000 SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Winnie the Pooh

To ensure a secure, just, and prosperous Afghanistan for future generations, Afghan society must first foster respect for its female members. Despite legal reforms and 11 years of Western interventions, it is delusional to believe that such a change can occur overnight. Respect is lacking in Afghanistan. 15% of girls are married by age 15, often sold into polygamous families with husbands over twice their age (United States Embassy of Afghanistan). Until we can impress on Afghan men that women have the same potential as their male counterparts, these fathers will continue to put a price tag on their daughters. Furthermore, according to the U.S. Embassy of Afghanistan spokesperson Sharifa Abbasi, only 21% of reports of domestic violence against women lead to convictions (United States Embassy of Afghanistan). Often, women are ordered to drop cases, or face worse punishment domestically for reporting abuse. In addition, few Afghan girls obtain an education. Boys are twice as likely to attend elementary school as girls. In Afghanistan, forced labor is often the outcome for those not in school. Afghan parents must be encouraged to allow their daughters to attend school, and male Afghan students must learn to respect their female classmates. Children must be taught that regardless of gender, every person has value, and one of them may someday cure cancer, live on Mars, or land on the New York Times Bestsellers List. The Afghan government, Afghan society, and the international community must collaborate to impress upon Afghanistan’s young men that respect for women is essential for their nation to flourish. Only then will the world see Afghanistan as a thriving country, and not as a nation infamous for women’s rights abuse, child labor, and domestic violence. Respect for females in Afghanistan will pave the way for broader humanitarian progress and achievement.

Respect for these women from both their male counterparts, the Afghan government, and the international community will create a gender diverse workforce and education system. Fostering respect in the Afghan society will impress upon the community that women are valued.