The Power of Legion | Teen Ink

The Power of Legion

By ChristianGuild GOLD, Grand Ledge, Michigan
ChristianGuild GOLD, Grand Ledge, Michigan

Perception is reality.

The Sandy Hook Incident, President Obama, the hacktivist group Anonymous, and Lady Gaga have one thing in common: power over the American people. They as a whole may not have power over us Americans individually, but as a culture their power is enhanced. The Sandy Hook shooting induced fear into us causing us to start a petition against gun ownership. No one without power could create a movement such as that. President Obama is our elected leader, without him, chaos would be ensured. With his power, most anything could happen. The hacktivist group Anonymous has led revolts and counter-culture riots across the United States. Lady Gaga has an influence in our normal culture. The way she acts is the way a lot of teenagers perceive as being correct and in turn, will have her beliefs instilled in their minds.

What I'm trying to say here is simple: There is no single entity within the United States that holds the entire complexity that is known as power. That "pure form" of power could never work due to the fact everyone is influenced by everything that crosses their path. Although myself and other teenagers bel against our authority and preach, "we will not be influenced", we still are. It's the same with adults as we'll, sadly enough. In both cases, they aren't blindly following their perceived leaders, but follow heir unperceived leaders, their personal culture. In each personal culture, there are people with similarities of beliefs,and in a way create "cults". Each of these "cults", groups of people with a common idea, create tides of events, whether or not our government (the group with all the power in other countries) allows it or not. However, the vast majority follows the government to an extent.

No one follows all the rules. Sorry to say that, but nobody's perfect. There may be times when one might be running late and will go five miles over the speed limit, or one might need a single mp3 off a CD he or she bought, but forgot it, therefore s/he burns the audio off YouTube. The power at those moments belong to self instead of the government. Inclusions of the circumstances might possibly affect how each of those individuals' outcomes came to be, like a boss could fire the person being late, so the power of the boss exceeds the power of law. The person needing a mp3 might have a talent show and needs an mp3 for that, in which case the authority of the talent show exceeds authority of the government. With that being stated, no one single entity has power.

The United States of America has power distributed in a peculiar way to aspects of an Average Joe's everyday life. There is no central power. The United States' citizens are one and multiple at the same time. They are a society known as Legion.