Genetically Modified Organisms Good, Or Not? | Teen Ink

Genetically Modified Organisms Good, Or Not?

January 8, 2014
By EvelynEvieC. BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
EvelynEvieC. BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing's impossible.


Genetically Modified Organisms have gradually become second nature in the U.S. Tomatoes, corns, berries, beans…, it might surprise you that how many foods you are eating contains genetically modified ingredients.
Now scientists have the technology to insert powerful genes into organisms that does not naturally occur, which is called genetic modification (GM). It can enhance the taste and quality of foods and crops, and also increase nutrients or improve resistance to pests and diseases. Modified foods have also been developed to improve yield.
Sounds really perfect for our world that is now under the threat of climate change and the problem of food supply.
But have you ever consider the dangers of these genetically modified foods?
People should understand the dangerous possibilities on GMOs.
Critics argued that modified foods could mess up the nature system. And also, modified foods might have some side effects to our health.
The most scary problem is that they are unpredictable. There are too many unknown quantities. We never know what will happen next.
Imagine one day in the future, crops and animals we have genetically modified on become mutants that humans can no longer control. What will the world be like?
We have already done so many damages to our world, do you want to keep on killing the place we live?


GMOs, Good thing!

One of the major reason of developing Genetically Modified Organisms is to solve the starvation. With the world population expanding, and the announce of the synthetic pesticides have bad effects for food quality, novel solutions are increasingly demanded. And Genetically Modified Food is one solution.
Recently, scientists developed the technology to insert strong genes into animals and crops, making them grow faster, and also more tasty.

Scientists announced that GMOs can increase plants’ resistance to pesticides and herbicides, and also the yields of many staple crops and thereby ward off starvation in many areas of the world; decreasing the need of pollutant chemicals; and allow plants growing under adverse weather conditions or poor soil, which perfectly fit in the modern world that is under climate change; and also we can spend less money of producing more food.
These pros are supposed to be beneficial to people in countries that are facing the starvation.
So gradually, some countries like the U.S., Canada, Mexico, etc, accepted this solution as a perfect way to solve the starvation, and they believe that GMOs is safe for humans the control.


No, GMOs, Bad for Environment!

However,we do not know how GMOs will evolve and mutate, and that we might cannot control them.
Publications on GMOs toxicity are scarce. An article in Science magazine said: “Health Risks of Genetically Modified Foods: Many Opinions but Few Data” In fact, there are no publications of clinical studies on the human health effects of GMOs exist. Even animal studies are few and far between.
We do not have enough knowledges on GMO, not enough for us to put full trust in it.
Modified Foods are unpredictable, they could spread their novel genes to wild populations, and mess up the nature system by creating organisms that humans have no defense of. Dr. Leigh Erin Connealy, a scientists that studies about health on Newport Natural Health, said “If this cross-contamination continues, the consequences could affect the entire food supply, making us all unwilling guinea pigs in a massive and very dangerous experiment,” said . And also, they could make the genetic diversity of organism population decrease, and gradually, organisms cannot adapt the variations of the climate.
For humans, GMOs could have bad effects to our health. “People with food allergies or dietary restrictions might inadvertently eat foods that contain a dangerous compound due to modification.” Dr. Leigh Erin Connealy explained, ‘‘The pesticides from GMO are new to humans, and, right now, we don't know how our body will handle them.”
There are also some studies announced that GMOs could easily increase our toxic load, leading to even more cancer diagnoses.
But these suspects are also not positive. The problem we face is unpredictable.
As the European Union government’s opinion, genetically modified foods are unnatural, and the risks to our health and the environment are outweigh benefits. Which can be true. By the way, those climate changing problems are also caused by us. So maybe we should first solve the climate change, and then consider GMOs to make the world more enhance.

Recently, GMOs have been lively discussed. And there are different opinions from scientists and experts, so every country’s government has different way to face GMOs.
Monsanto, a corporation in the U.S. that produces GMOs, did many studies that announced GMOs’ safety. They as the position of consumers, place the highest priority on the safety of their products and conduct rigorous and comprehensive testing on each. In fact, they guaranteed seeds with GM traits have been tested more than any other crops in the history of agriculture, and the result showed no credible evidence of harm to humans or animals.
But those studies they made also have been criticized for their obvious bias, “Monsanto studies only manipulated, not that the products are safe.”
GMOs are the majority of the U.S.’s food supply, many modified foods are sold in supermarkets. Although these foods are accepted in the U.S., GM Foods are either banned or severely limited throughout Europe, and also countries like Brazil.
In Japan, supermarkets offers both modified foods and organic foods, but the customers showed a strong preference for unmodified fruits and vegetables.
In Europe, anti-GM food protesters have been especially active. After Europe experienced two major food scares: mad cow disease in Great Britain and dioxin-tainted foods originating from Belgium, it undermined the consumer confident of European food supply, and citizens are unwilling to trust government information about GM foods. So Europe now required GM Foods labeling in markets.
Meanwhile, there is a shocking outcome of a European study with lab animals. Rats in the study that were fed a popular GM corn developed horrifically oversized tumors and organ damage. Although the result has also been widely criticized, we should also consider the result.
Many scientific results keep on defeating the confident on GMOs, and also left more questions.
There are several recent datas said about the chemicals in GMOs will cause human cancers. A study found that glyphosate, a common herbicide ingredient used to grow GMO plants, caused human breast cancer cells to grow due to its estrogen-like qualities.
Although everyone has different perspective to this issue, we should understand, and also consider the potential crisis.

There are too many unknown quantities on GMOs.
No one can be absolutely sure for GMOs safety. Obviously.
No one can predict how they will evolve in the future. Definitely.
No one wants to risk our lovely world, even our lives for more enhanced organisms. Reasonable. Or do you?
Modified Organisms, perfect but unpredictable, could mess up the nature system by spreading their novel genes to wild population, and create organisms that humans have no defense of.
Imagine in the future, the majority of the creatures on Earth become mutants that humans cannot control. Imagine in the future, there are many new food allergies that caused by modified foods, and keep on mutate. And who knows it might be worse?
Producing unpredictable organisms to make this world more enhanced.
Are you using your selfishness to damage our world?