A Death Done Silently | Teen Ink

A Death Done Silently

January 8, 2014
By hayitsannie BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
hayitsannie BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Some say sometimes even to live is an act of courage. I say to live is an act of bravery.
Tossed around all day at school to come home to abuse. Taunted by mocking facebook posts and instagram pictures. With nowhere to go and no one to go to, what do you do? When you no longer dream, there is nothing for you to look forward to. So the question is, what comes next? The facebook post lead to depression, Instagram pictures lead to hopelessness.
Ayden Keenan-Olsen, a boy from Colchester, got home one day, and he thought he had enough. He went straight to his backpack and got out the prescription drugs he had. Soon after he took his own life. One person commits suicide every 16 minutes yet, most of us are here living life like it’s nothing. If you look around a class of about 25 at least 5 students have or are likely to, seriously think about suicide and 2 people are most likely to have attempted it.
How would you feel if this was your child?
What would come next?
Who would you “blame”?

One small action can make a huge difference.

Did you know that according to dosomething.org, a non profit “for young people and social change” more than 30,000 americans commit suicide each year? What about for every one suicide there are 25 attempts? And most haunting-suicide is the second leading cause of death for children and young adults ages 10-24. I mean just take a look, are we coming to a point in time where 30,000 americans would rather take their own life then to see what their journey has in store?


Growing up with a big family can be difficult but it also has its upside. When you do have a big family you may not be “friends” with all of your cousins or something, but coming from experience those who you do become “friends” with you become very close to them.

Kevin, a funny and what seemed to be optimistic young teenager, tried to take his own life.

When I first learned that my cousin Kevin had attempted suicide by trying to overdose, I went through an array of emotions.

I felt hurt.

I felt betrayed.

I felt hopeless.


How could he do this to me? Why would he want to do this? What would my life, and the lives of people around me be like if his attempt had became a success?
Although we don’t realize that even though we may see a smile or hear a laugh from someone, you can never truly hear what someone is thinking. We would never truly be able to see what they are actually going through.

Zachary Steele, an eighteen year old boy from Florence Ma. attempted suicide by jumping off a 50 foot high parking garage. Zachary said “I tried to have a normal day but it didn’t end up going well, I got lonely. When night came, I wanted to jump.” Although Zach survived, the jump changed his life forever. Prior to jumping “Everything was fine other than being sad all the time” he says. Zach has had more than ten surgeries, broke his jaw and multiple limbs, as well as serious brain damage. Almost one year later, Zach says that for him everyday is a new day, I thought maybe it would just be a good lesson. “If you are having those feelings” he says “I would definitely try to see a doctor or try and talk to someone that you can trust.

You may not know anyone that has committed or attempted suicide, but what if you did? People say that you don’t realize what you have until it is gone, but what if that was how it really went? It may not be like that for you, but it is for other people. With the thought of suicide it makes many people think “What can we do?” Next time you are about to say something think, before you post something on social media, reread what you wrote. “Would I want someone to say that to me?”

We can’t stop suicide, but we can try and prevent it.