Whole Foods, Lower Your Prices | Teen Ink

Whole Foods, Lower Your Prices

By Robel BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Robel BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Awet 'n Hafash

Home of the organic. With America being the second fattest country in the world behind Mexico, we need to be healthier. Huffington Post, says Mexico has surpassed the United States as the world's fattest nation, with 32.8% of its population now classed as obese. This worrying figure is higher than the the percentage of obese US citizens, who weigh in at 32%.
Many households shop at Whole Foods. Good for them, but many do not. Everybody knows that organic food can be pricey. Really pricey. Everybody knows that very few can afford the luxurious life of the organic. Chemically grown foods are unhealthy. Unfortunately many Americans are forced to eat foods that have been injected by hormones, pesticides and others. We should not have to compromise our health simply because we can't afford it.
Lets say we all ate at Whole Foods. As if we could afford it. We would be eating whole food. Food at its natural state. Getting all the vitamins and minerals and other nutrients that are in food, instead of the bits after the fermented and processing. It's the difference between apple to apple juice or baked potatoes to mash potatoes. We would all have a healthy diet with all organic locally grown foods with no pesticides. But for those who do not shop at Whole Foods. This does not apply to you.
Max Kaufman, financial advocate, believes that Whole Foods has the okay for pricing their produce at such a high price because they monopolize the market of organic foods. Mr. Kaufman challenges someone to enter the market and sell for a lower price and terminate Whole Foods.
Husam Hamouda, 5 year shopper at Market Basket, says that he is aware that Market Basket is unhealthy and that he would shop at Whole Foods if they decreased their pricing on food.

The poll, taken at Rindge Ave Upper Campus show that many cannot afford Whole Foods and that many don't know the harms of shopping at places such as Market Basket.
Okay - maybe places like Market Basket does not affect your health suddenly.
Can you imagine what it would do to your health after shopping there for numerous years?
Are you aware that you are subsidizing your health?
If you had the money would you shop at Whole Foods?
Lastly, do you believe that Whole Foods should lower the prices so everyone can have an equal opportunity at having a healthy diet?

I know money is tight Especially in today's economy.
I know that nobody here wants to be obese, diabetic, or have high cholesterol.
I know that many of us wants to lose weight.
We are .9% away from being the fattest country in the world. Who would want America to be the fattest country? I know I wouldn't. Who here has the money to afford Whole Foods on a daily bases? I know I don't. Who here wants to live a long healthy life? I know I would. It's been long over due, it is time for Whole Foods to decrease their prices. We should not have to compromise our health simply on one fact that we can't afford it.