Who is an American? | Teen Ink

Who is an American?

January 8, 2014
By Anonymous

An American isn't just a person living in America. It is a way of life. It is a way of thinking. Almost like a philosophy to live by. People came to America to find opportunities for self gain and also future generations. To get out of a war torn country or an impoverished country and also to live a peaceful life with the people they love. Then this all descends into happiness. The one true goal of every American's life of being happy. Americans think in a long term way, but not only to the next meal but to the next years. what their current occupation means for the future generations. They think how they can achieve the goal of happiness and being with the ones they love. But the thing is, people think like this all over the world. So i think an American can be located all over the planet. All trying to reach that long term goal of being happy. Happiness in my eyes is when you are content with your current life. You enjoy going to work if thats what you do, you love to go home to your home or shelter and smile and laugh many times a day. While happy you don't need to worry about what your next meal is. Or if a treatable disease is going to nab you. Opportunities i think are the first part of obtaining this goal since it can lead to an occupation to give resources to help in the pursuit of happiness.

The opportunities people could take in America was for the long term and for the persons kids or for their old age. The quote “ THroughout the world and throughout history, millions of individuals have endured poverty with dignity. But there is no inherent dignity in poverty. Individuals came to America to farm their own farms and to run their own enterprises My grandpop found work on streetcar lines so he could buy a house and provide a better life for his family.” this quote is in “What is an American” by Edward L. Hudgins. The author is saying a couple of different things. THat people in impoverished countries do and sometimes make the best of what they have in their country and attempt to have dignity about it. But in reality there is no dignity. Honestly how can someone have dignity in living in a one room place with a full family. It is very sad. And so these people and their families begin the journey to America to obtain opportunities and take them. But once they get to America they realize that theres more to life than just being safe and healthy. My analysis is almost the same as the authors meaning. THese people come to America from impoverished to find and take these opportunities and to live a fulfilling and full life. To have real dignity for themselves. But also to almost set up the future generations. To make sure their kids have something and not nothing. Also America was a safe place to take opportunities compared to the rest of the world. You cant open your own enterprise in an impoverished city or country. You need people to be able to use your services or goods. Finding and taking the opportunities in America was the first step of obtaining the status of being an “American” or the American dream.. Peace in a country had a huge role to play in taking the opportunities and in the pursuit of happiness.
Not being in a war torn country or an impoverished country was an opportunity on it own. Which was a peaceful country. The quote “From where the sun now stands i will fight no more” is from a speech given from Chief Joseph in 1877. I think it literally means he is sick and tired of the bloodshed and of all the pointless killing that could be solved by a peace treaty. The Chief wants everyone to life a fulfilling life but in order to do that they cannot be fighting all the time. The people need peace to carry out what they want to do for themselves in life and to take the opportunities the land gives them. My analysis of it is much like the authors meaning. In order to obtain happiness defined in my thesis they need peace to fully take the opportunities. Also war and fighting is just very irrelevant and unneeded. After the opportunities are taken in a peaceful environment and you are liking what you are doing and are content, the pursuit of happiness is almost at the persons finger tips and a true American is born.
Happiness is an American is my thought process, a way of life. Being happy is again defined in my thesis. This quote by Edward L. Hudgins is a good one for the pursuit of happiness and the way of life of an american. “The principles of this country are no mere abstractions; they are written in the hearts of all true Americans.” It is from his essay “What is an American?” The authors meaning is that the true meaning of an American is very visible and you can tell that they are content and happy. That the way of life, Being happy, being peaceful, and taking the opportunities, a philosophy in a way. My analysis, like the other 2 paragraphs, is like the authors meaning. That you can tell that a human has the philosophy of an American. A person who strides for more and tries to go farther when they are offered and opportunity. To take advantage of the peaceful surroundings to achieve happiness through the peace and opportunity.
An American is a person who is wanting to achieve happiness and prosperity. They achieve this through taking the proper steps of the philosophy and being smart about it. To take the opportunities that are in front of them, in the very peacefull environment. Also to take the opportunities to help the future generations and help them strive. Also to start them off with something and not have to start from scratch like their ancestors. An American is a happy person who strives for more and to help the future generations.