Am I Perfect Yet? | Teen Ink

Am I Perfect Yet?

By llaacci GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
llaacci GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars.

What does it mean to be “pretty”, or “beautiful”? Of course, everyone has different views, but nowadays, society’s image of this is making girls (and guys) everywhere question themselves, emotionally and physically. Everyone wonders why there are eating disorders, an increased amount of depression in teens, and suicides. I believe that bullying stems from this image of what is “beautiful”, or socially acceptable. I’ve had my own taste of this. A few weeks ago my 5-year-old little sister told me that she wasn’t pretty because she was “fat”. If this isn’t a wakeup call that society needs to change, I don’t know what is. If a 5-year-old girl can question her body image, something needs to change. Children and teenagers, both boys and girls need to know that there is no such thing as being perfect. Nobody is, even the models on the magazines, on T.V. and in social media. It seems that our society is contradictory as well. Be who you are, they say, but then it’s: Not like that. Everyone has a right to an opinion, and mine is that things need to change. So, am I perfect yet?

I hope that this encourages everyone who reads this. It took a long time to encourage myself.