Obesity In America | Teen Ink

Obesity In America

By MorganAgnor BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
MorganAgnor BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Many people would say that America is known for all the great things it has to offer like freedom, being able to travel, equality and many other things. But people may or may not also know that America as a country struggles greatly with obesity. Obesity alone is more than doubling in children and tripling in adolescents daily. Not only is obesity self-esteem issue but it is also a continuing health issue. I think that obesity is a huge issue that America needs to overcome and it is going to take the help of everyone.

Most people should know that you are not born obese, but it is possible that when you are born, obesity is something that runs in your family genetics. When you are growing up, it is very likely that you will become influenced by ads, commercials, media, and propaganda that will highly influence children and their families. These ads are usually very convenient for large families because they are quick and have easy access. Not only does America advertise many different varieties of food; they are also usually very bad for you and contain a lot of fat and sugars.

I believe obesity is something that America needs to focus on getting rid of the problem. Not only is it causing health issues it is also lowering the participation of young children in sports because the child is more entertained by video games and television that they do not want to make the effort to get up for 30 minutes and do some sort of physical activity. Not only are children not enjoying themselves by being active, they are making their laziness worse because more than likely they are consuming something while watching television or playing video games.
Not only are kids consuming much more food than they should, or at least an unpleasant amount of unhealthy foods daily, their parents are letting them! At a young age children do not control what foods are brought into their households and will usually eat what they are given. That is where a parent has to step in and start making better food choices for themselves and their families. As children grow up, it does get much harder to eat well because things usually get much more stressful with school and when children get to the age of driving they tend to eat out a lot more than usual.

As stated before that parents need to start making better food choices for themselves and their families, the simplicity to that is not so easy to some. Many people make excuses such as they don’t have the time every day to make a home cooked meal or the children won’t eat what she makes. But there are ways to solve these issues. In order to fix the problem of not having enough time because either they work late, or they have sporting events to attend, it is very easy to just make the meal a night or few before and re-heat it the next day. And even if you feel like you must get food to go, start choosing the healthier items on the menu.

Some other critics may say that the idea of a child having to lose weight is much too stressful at such a young age, and the issue should be the least of their worries. They may also say that the child will eventually grow into the extra skin. Which may or may not be true?

These could all be possibilities but I think it is important that parents go to their pediatricians and figure what the best health plan for their child could be, and over all make better food choices. One of the most recommended ways to keep the rate of child obesity at a minimum is to make a daily routine for children. Kids at a young age need something that they have to follow every day, and if they have at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day that is something they will get used to and it won’t be a hassle to get them off the couch.