Don't Use That Word | Teen Ink

Don't Use That Word

April 30, 2013
By lexi17 BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota
lexi17 BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How would you feel if somebody used your mental condition as a derogatory remark? The use of the word "retard" in a rude and degrading way is completely unnecessary. I have had the opportunity to work with mentally and physically handicapped people and they are some of the greatest people I have ever met. Whenever you don't agree with someone or they have done something foolish, calling them a name or "retarded" is not going to make you better than them. Having a disability is neither and embarrassment nor something to be ashamed of. There are a vast majority of other words that a person can use if they actually want to put somebody down. Using the word "retard" and all of its other forms is extremely degrading to those who are handicapped. Comparing somebodies foolish actions to somebody who was born with a disadvantage or disability is disrespectful. I hope that reading this will help you, and others you know, realize that "retard" is a disrespectful and hurtful word. Words can hurt. Think before you speak. You may not be offending your friend, but you are offending at least one person when you do use that disrespectful word.