Limiting Soda | Teen Ink

Limiting Soda

By spirit_eyes GOLD, McKeesport, Pennsylvania
spirit_eyes GOLD, McKeesport, Pennsylvania

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. - Epicurus

How can the government protect Americans from others if they can’t protect them from themselves? The job of the government is to protect from dangers home grown and worldwide. This especially holds true to dangers of health. If the government can do something to stop sickness, disease, and unhealthiness, is it not the morally correct thing to help solve those problems. The government should limit the amount of soda you can buy because soda can cause many health problems, less soda can lowers the risk of diabetes, and soda can cause weight problems.

The soda can cause many health problems and therefore should be limited. It cause sleep disorders and is an artificial stimulant. Soda has caffeine in it which affects the central nervous system and it alters brain function. This can cause temporary changes in mood, perception, consciousness and behavior. It increases adrenaline and causes feelings of anxiety and tension. The caffeine in soda also blocks serotonin and melatonin and stops adenosine reactors from binding, causing the overall effect of insomnia. You can argue that this won’t always happen but all the caffeine certainly increases the risk of sleep disorders. Less soda would help decrease these risks and help you lead a healthier lifestyle.

If the government limits the amount of soda that you can but it lowers the risk of getting diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is cause by life style choices. This means that an excess of sugar can lead to diabetes. While one might argue that a little extra sugar will cause diabetes, but is proven that sugar in large amounts can cause type two diabetes. According to the Washington Post if you drink more than one soda a month it increases the chance of type 2 diabetes by eighty percent. If soda is limited the risk of diabetes substantially decreases.

Drinking a lot of soda can cause weight issues so it should be limited. All of the calories and chemicals in soda cause extra weight gain. Studies show that giving children and teens soda causes them to gain extra weight. Some argue that you can be sure that soda affects weight. But tests prove that drinking soda interacts with the genes that affect weight; this increases the risk of obesity. If soda was limited it would help lower the percentage of obese people in America.

The government should limit the amount of soda you can buy because soda can cause many health problems, less soda can lowers the risk of diabetes, and soda can cause weight problems. It is important for the government to protect the people of America. If we don’t do our best to protect ourselves from us we can’t protect us from others.

This is an article arguing for the limitation of soda by the government.

isaac young said...
isaac young, Abq, New Mexico
bob is eating a big mac and has two chips named jim