Why Can't They Get It Right | Teen Ink

Why Can't They Get It Right

Why Can’t They Get It Right
1st Block

According to study, 40% of patients are misdiagnosed in their initial doctor visit. Of the misdiagnosis, 80% of patient misdiagnosis was caused by miscommunication between the doctor and patient. The other 20% of misdiagnosis is caused by poor record keeping causing gaps and inconsistencies in medical charts according to JAMA EHR studies.

The same study also showed that on average, doctor visits consist of only fifteen minutes of actual time with the doctor. Part of this is due to the poor record keeping but some doctors just don’t care because there are no repercussions for their actions leading to misdiagnosis.

Many of the problems in hospitals could be prevent by methodical record keeping and detailed explanations in the charts. I have family that works for private care physicians and if their charts are incomplete or not detailed they are fired. This how all clinics should be ran no matter if it is privately funded or publicly funded.

Another huge reason for misdiagnosis is doctors not caring and double checking themselves because there is no consequence. There is no fee or fine for misdiagnosing a patient. The doctor doesn’t suffer any repercussion of their action, just the patient. Twenty years ago, misdiagnosis was more understandable but with the advances in technology and modern medicine there is no excuse. Doctors have multiple resources at their disposal so they have no excuse.

As a whole, many people suffer from the consequences of misdiagnosis. Not only do patients suffer, the friends and family of that person have to endure the hardships of a major misdiagnosis also. There are multiple cases that can be read about online that could have been prevented. This has become a problem that is becoming entirely too common in healthcare and is constantly getting worse. With no consequences for misdiagnosis, there is no sign of it ending. It is time doctors and hospitals be held accountable for their actions.