The Cost of Underage Drinking | Teen Ink

The Cost of Underage Drinking

By Angel Velasquez BRONZE, Vance, Alabama
Angel Velasquez BRONZE, Vance, Alabama

You wake up, lightening crashes; you don’t remember what had happened the night before. As you are trying to piece together what had happened a nurse walks in, she explains to you how had wrecked your dads new Mercedes that you were only supposed to be taking to yours grandmothers and back and killed you girlfriend and your best friend and his girlfriend. In the grand scheme of all of these atrocious events all you got was paralyzed from the neck down and almost scratch free. The car you had a head on collision with also killed your aunt and her 3 children. Just of all things never forget you only live once.

Each year there are more than 5,000 deaths linked to alcohol per year, this does not include other incidents caused by this monstrous drug. This number does not include all of the other innocent people who do not fit into the “teen” criteria. This drug is killing our brother, sisters, children, parents and anyone that is close to you or me.

Now you nor I can stand back and point fingers and say it is completely the parents fault that the youth are doing such atrocious acts, unless the parents are in fact supporting this habit. The truth of the matter is, is that the friends are the ones whom influence each other. The media also plays a great role on this industry this needs to be put to a halt, all commercials for this drug need to be ended, including blacking out the refrigerators in our hometown convenient stores.

While we may realize that the punishments for this heinous crimes might be lengthy and severe, but the truth is, is that the punishments need to be heightened more than ever. Anywhere from the cost of these crimes to increased maximum prison time. Those who break these crimes should have the privilege of buying alcohol be suspended for a lengthy amount of time. Thousands of innocent lives are either harmed or ended by this drug, their lives, their dreams, everything that they held dear.

This must be stopped now before the next generation must suffer from the loss of their dreams to the loss of their lives, or even their entire families. So as I said before and once again, these atrocious activities must be put to a dead halt with increased penalties and heightened sentences. These opinions and resolutions may not completely halt the deaths and purchasing of alcoholic beverage for the minors, but it will put a steady decline on them for the most part.