Friends Are Success | Teen Ink

Friends Are Success

April 4, 2013
By MKAYYYY SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
MKAYYYY SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We laughed so hard, and half an hour later we were bawling our eyes out. It was a relaxing movie night with two of my closest pals. After the film, each of us had numerous stories and deep thoughts to confess. We chatted about everything imaginable: love, hate, rumors, pain, life in general. Afterwards, we all felt like we were ready to jump back into the world. I am grateful to have friends who care, listen, and understand me. Whenever I feel upset or stressed, someone is there for me, always able to provide that ‘push’ every individual needs in life. After reviewing my current and past friendships, I find myself completely agreeing with Carlin Flora, an acknowledged writer from Time Magazine. Friendships can lead to more successful endeavors than on solitary efforts. Or in other words, people who have friends can advance more in life than people who don't have friends. I will compare and contrast how people with friends and without friends act, describe how friends can be beneficial, and define how to make and keep meaningful friendships.
Usually, telling people who have friends, and people who don't apart is not a hard task. Irene S. Levine, Ph.D. from Psychology Today notes that people who don't have friends tend to be more insecure, and uncomfortable around others. In addition to being shy, they are overall more reserved and easily frightened. Unfortunately, when these people act awkwardly around others, it may to be contagious. The World Economic Forum deems that confidence is a huge factor in the world today; being diffident and not able to put oneself out there can ruin exciting and progressive opportunities.
People with friends are more likely to be happy because they are involved in more positive situations, which make them feel bold and accepted. “The happiest people spend the least time alone” states Usa Today. Since people with friends have a more positive outlook on life, there are obvious benefits from friendships. I have personally learned how friends can be beneficial. With the stress of everyday chores piling up, it is relieving to have a cheerful companion. Friends are great at encouraging one to keep moving forward. Whether hesitation comes from shyness or laziness, friends have a genuine perspective and are able to offer feedback and opinions. They are confidence boosters, able to provide an extra nudge to get involved with new experiences. An article titled “Try New Things” from Time Magazine states that “people who engage in a variety of experiences are more likely to retain positive emotions.” Last summer a group of my friends joined the soccer team. Everyday they asked and begged me to join, exclaiming how exciting it would be. I am not a sports fan, but finally they persuaded me to join. Fortunately, I ended up having a blast playing with them and other new people.
Friends can also provide a feeling of belonging and acceptance. This warm feeling of not being neglected leads someone to gaining security. This sense of security then nurtures more self-esteem, confirms Shelley Holmes, a leadership coach and trainer. No matter what boy band phase or fashion statement someone is indulged in, it won't stop good buddies from getting together. Obtaining strict standards for others is bad news. Just like Hannah Montana, a teen idol, says, “Nobody is perfect”. If the friendship is going to be meaningful, both people must accept each other for who they are.
Friendships are mostly a positive experience. However, finding and keeping the right folks is often a burden for some people. A few steps to take to gain long-lasting and meaningful friendships are: choosing the right people to befriend, making an effort, and be accepting. An individual’s achievements can be influenced by what types of people they choose to be involved with. Author of the article “How the People Around You Affect Personal Success” Leo Widrich found, “...a large amount of how successful someone will be in life comes down to the people they spend time with.” It doesn't matter if someone is outgoing and confident, events in their lifetime can be affected by the people surrounding them. When someone sets out to do something in life, they generally won't do it alone. Picking the most popular kids at school or the richest colleagues at work isn't always the best choice. Joshua Liu, author of the article “Theory on Friendship” declares that its better to choose people who share similar interests or goals. For example, planning a new years’ revolution tends to be a tough decision. Without motivation, it is possible that goal could drop of the next week. But having a friend who has the same resolution, or will provide support, could help carry on the desired task immensely.
Overall, friends make great companions. But once friends have been chosen, keeping in touch can be an obstacle in today’s world. School is from 8am to 3pm, and jobs are normally from 3pm to 9pm, describes the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. With all this extra work in life, some people don’t have any time available for relaxation. Effort has to be made to keep the friendship alive. Planning dates ahead of time and using current technology like texting, calling, or video chatting are a few possible solutions.
In conclusion, people with friends are regularly more successful because of the constant support and motivation they receive. If someone ever wants to achieve a goal that seems to be too far away, my advice is to grab a friend, and ask for some guidance. It could help excessively in the immediate future. Whether someone is simply walking down the hall, choosing a location to live, or running a marathon, no one has to face it alone.