How much would you pay for freedom? | Teen Ink

How much would you pay for freedom?

By livetodance BRONZE, Mendon, Massachusetts
livetodance BRONZE, Mendon, Massachusetts

In our world today there are too issues that go unrecognized by an immense amount of people. One of these issues includes the controversy brought around by the spending and funding given to the U.S. military. I believe that any money spent towards funding the military is money that is necessary and well spent, because as Americans, we are free and safe because of the people fighting for us in the service. Military budgets have always caused great dispute in our country, but now more than ever it is crucial to recognize that all money spent on our armed forces is needed and put to use for every citizen’s benefit, and safety.

In 2013 the world will expend an estimated $1.7 trillion for the military, and in the lead, the U.S. accounts for nearly 41% of that. Next is China, holding accountable for 8.2%, then Russia for $4.1%, and so on. This means that the United States will disburse over three times the amount of money on military needs than any other county in the world this year. The global financial and economic crisis, however, can account for many other countries’ decrease in spending ver the past few years. However, unlike many people think, the U.S. is not the only country to increase their military spending. Surprisingly, most countries that had had the resources available have increased their spending by at least 65% in the past three years. In addition, this money is needed, and contributes to a long-term quest that is being strategized to benefit our country in the next few years. This will bring a longed for global stability, that needs to be lead by the United States, so this money is crucial. This is something that many people look past, and they fail to realize that the stronger and better off our military is, the safer and stronger we are as Americans.

Our armed forces also do not just get an unlimited supply of money, contrary to what many people believe. Looking at newspapers and magazines alone, I saw that the military had budgets that were notably higher than other any fixed funds going toward other issues in the U.S., such as security or financial aids. When I first read about this, I was shocked by the immense amount of money spent yearly on military funding alone, so I decided to look deeper. As I searched, I found that newspapers do not provide real budget or spending information, and although the numbers seem precise, they are unbelievably inaccurate. After doing some greater research, I found that spending is actually linked by law to the profits made from the exploitation of key natural resources. From this money, only 1.8% goes toward keeping peace, the rest going to war. In 2013, America’s total budget is $614 billion, $525 billion of that going for our national defense budget, and the other $89 billion going toward war supplemental, or global peace. Since the spending is linked directly to the amount of money made in the previous year, clearly money is only spent if it is available. This means that there is money designated toward the military budget, so there is no need for anyone to worry that the military is spending unnecessary money that our country does not have.

In conclusion, the world becomes a stronger place with state-of-the-art technology that is hard to keep up with. When other countries have technology in their military that is more advanced or efficient than that of the United States’ it is consequential that we use our money and resources to better our technologies too. By doing this, our country is able to stay ahead of the game, which keeps us safe. In thinking about military spending, people often believe that it is too prioritized in the U.S., but I believe that it should be a priority. After all, it is our military who is fighting for our safety and freedom every day, and without their support, we, as American citizens, would not be any where near where we are today.