Is There To Much Media? | Teen Ink

Is There To Much Media?

March 12, 2013
By James Morrissey BRONZE, Princetion, New Jersey
James Morrissey BRONZE, Princetion, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Remember the last time you went out to the store to acquire something? Was it because of the media? When I see a commercial for an item, endorsed by a celebrity, (which is most of the time) it really pushes my buttons because that's 90% of the commercials. Under Armor, Nike, Adidas have celebrity endorsed weather if it is a pro athlete or an actor/actress[w1] . Is it too much? I love Bryce Harper and all, but I hate it when he is in every Under Armor commercial. Dwight Howard, hate him, hate is commercials, Nike, 99% of their commercials and Tiger Woods. Don't you think it's time for the brands to stop hounding the people with the same faces?

Every year the Washington Nationals, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Cincinnati Bengals and every pro team come out with new gear, or color scheme. That is advertised as if we don't have last year's edition, and the year before that and the year before that, but every year, we the people need to stay hip and buy our favorite teams’ gear. When we see it endorsed by Eli and Peyton Manning, Bryce Harper, Justin Tuck, David Right, and other famous athletes, we feel the necessity to buy it, and when we do, we are up-to-date. Do we really need the newest gear, and for it to be advertised for the whole season?

Not only gear, but food and other products too[w2] . Eli Manning, who promotes Dunkin' Doughnuts, Payton Manning, who is the spokesperson for Papa John’s, pretty much every NBA player does [w3] McDonalds. Carmelo Anthony, who does [w4] Footlocker, all these advertisements are everywhere. It’s like your being hounded to buy the newest product or style so the advertisers can make profits, and the athletes or actors can make money, too.

When you have to have all the newest gear or all the newest items, like the iphone 5, can put a dent in your wallet, and when sports teams come out with new gear every year, it can be annoying to be hounded by advertisements. There is no break. So is there a thing as too much media?