What I Would Say To The Founding Fathers | Teen Ink

What I Would Say To The Founding Fathers

January 13, 2013
By Anonymous

The founding fathers, we hear about them all the time. Have you ever stopped to think what you would have told them if you were given the chance? How would you impact history? So many things are said about them, but no one says what they would have said to them. I was given the task to stop and think about what I would say to our founding fathers if I had the opportunity. The reading that follows is what I would tell our founding fathers, if given the chance.

The founding fathers signed the Declaration of Independence, took part in the American Revolutionary War, and established the United States Constitution. This was a big step in America’s history. I would like to focus my comment to the founding fathers in reference to the Constitution. I would like to do this because this is a very big decision as the Constitution is the supreme law of the United States of America. The Constitution is very important and if they had a look into the future we might not have as much gray-area, fuzzy lines, controversy, and confusion today.

I would have told them to make sure to choose their words wisely and over explain. Have you ever twisted words someone said to get out of trouble? I know that it can be very easy to get out of trouble by taking words and finding the loopholes; this is what many people today are trying to do with the Constitution. Even if the information seemed to have been self-explanatory at the time the document was written, it was written in a much simpler time. I would explain to them that because the times will change their wording will not be beneficial and people will try to change things so that they may benefit, changing the original intent of the document. One example is the topic of same sex marriage, it has recently seen the light of day. There was a vote on this topic and the idea was declined. If in the constitution, they had been extremely black and white on this topic there would not be controversy and we would not have to have a vote, leaving someone’s life in the hands of the majority.

If I was able to give incite to the founding fathers of the USA I would have to say that I would tell them to make all the information worded in black and white with no room for assumptions. Even if their hands started to cramp, this document could be so much more effective if there was no area left up to interpretation and no loop holes. This is the information I would have shared with the founding fathers if I was given the chance.


The author's comments:
This was an assignment for school. I wrote this and then thought it was pretty good; it was not selected to go to competition. I thought that this composition was deserved to be read by someone other than me and my teacher. I believe it is a good piece of work, but not my best.