So You Want To Be a Filmmaker | Teen Ink

So You Want To Be a Filmmaker

January 12, 2013
By trinity_chapa BRONZE, Fort Dix, New Jersey
trinity_chapa BRONZE, Fort Dix, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I’m not here to complain about the unjust double standards that women are held to or the “thin-spiration” messages that are sent to girls through so many ads, although those are real and prominent issues that many women and girls have to face. I’m more focused on ways that we can improve and are improving these problems that women face, particularly in creative work fields. Do me a favor and think of your favorite movie. Chances are, the movie you just thought of was directed or written by a man. I know my favorite movie is. Now try thinking of a movie directed by a female with a female protagonist. I’m guessing you headed for the romantic comedy section and were a little confused when the Sex and the City series was created by a man? Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for guys writing stories with female protagonists, but seeing that so many industries are dominated by men can be a little disheartening for ambitious young women out there. According to Bird’s Eye View, fewer than 10% of film directors are women and less than 15% or screenwriters are women. Six percent of today’s films are created by women.Think about that-we are missing half of the population’s stories. A little daunting to try to start a living in the film industry when the statistics are less than in your favor.

I want to make films when I grow up. I realize that’s a lot to hope for, and if I do make it in the film industry, there are going to be a lot of soul-crushing nights spent alone with a tub of ice cream and a general lack of inspiration. But at least having the opportunity to create what I love and make a living off of that is enough for me. Being successful is another story. I’m not begging for men to back down from the pedestal they have in the film industry. All I want is for women to be celebrated and for female talent to be fostered-because more representation and diversity in the arts just means more quality. And that creates for better movies for everyone.

There are amazing organizations established exactly for this purpose, Bird’s Eye View being one of them. Their mission is to acclaim new female talent through film festivals and workshops for women. There are ongoing efforts to support female film directors, and I’m hoping to see more of that. I think of the greats out there-Sofia Coppola, a female filmmaker who challenges the barrier between male and female film directors; Lena Dunham, a personal inspiration of mine, who stars and writes her own show, Girls; as well as the fabulous Tina Fey. I look at these women who create so fervently and know that I want to be a part of that. I know there must be more than just that 6%. I know there are more aspiring filmmakers out there.

I’m just hoping for the day when interviewers will no longer ask what it feels like to be a female director, a female comedian, a female writer. Someday there will no longer be a boundary between male and female creators. And I’ll be a part of it.


The author's comments:
I felt like I needed to talk about the divide between male and female creators-what an invalid argument it is that women can't be funny or create films-or whatever the job may be-like men. It's a subject that's really close to me, not only because I'm a female and want to make movies as an adult, but because I want to see more representation of women in the industry that I love.