Not the End of the World | Teen Ink

Not the End of the World

December 21, 2012
By Sami.Stargazer SILVER, Stillwater, Minnesota
Sami.Stargazer SILVER, Stillwater, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Be strong now, because things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can't rain forever.


I believe that becoming a teen mom is not the end of the world. I have had this belief for a very long time, but only recently has it become a more personal belief. There are many things that can affect you for the rest of your life and becoming pregnant at any age is definitely one of them. Becoming pregnant as a teenager is by far a challenge that I wasn’t planning to face, but it happened and everything happens for a reason. It obviously won’t make my life any easier, but in the long run, it will make me a stronger person.
A baby is a huge responsibility, but everyone makes it sound like my life is going to end as soon as the baby is born. Yes, this baby is going to make the things I want to do with my life a lot harder, but I have faith in myself that I can do it and succeed. I am willing to sacrifice almost anything to support my child. There are only a few things I wouldn’t be willing to sacrifice, and one of them is my ability to attend college and have a successful career. I know that if I want to be able to provide the best life possible for my baby, I have to further my education and have a career that is stable enough to have a good income. I will do everything I have to in order to be the best mother I can be.
A child can be a blessing in disguise. My best friend is 19 and now has a three month old baby whom has become her pride and joy. That baby is the motivation for everything she does now. I see this baby as a blessing to myself as well. It will be my extra push to better myself and to make my life the best it can be for my child. I have seen teen moms struggle with a lot of things, and I know that a lot of things I want to do with my life will be a struggle as well. My mom was a teen mom as well and I’ve watched her struggle with raising my brother and I throughout the years. Not only was she a teen mom, she’s also been a single mother basically all of my life. I’m willing to face these challenges with my head held high and faith in myself that I can and will succeed where others thought I couldn’t. Although there are those who doubt me, I have plenty of friends and family who believe that I can do this and will support me through it all.
Throughout my life many people have doubted my ability to overcome the challenges I have faced. This is my biggest test and biggest opportunity to prove everyone who has ever doubted me wrong and to show them that I can do anything I put my mind to. Having faith in yourself is the biggest step you can take in working towards something you want. It gives you to personal strength you need to persevere in the face of hardships. It can be that inner voice pushing you forward when you don’t want to do it anymore. Becoming a teen mom is going to be one of the best things that has ever happened to me. My life is going to change forever, but after the baby is born I will have more meaning that I ever have before. I am determined to make the best of this, no matter what challenges I may face in the process.