Teens Driving with Phones. | Teen Ink

Teens Driving with Phones.

December 13, 2012
By Kaija BRONZE, Saline, Michigan
Kaija BRONZE, Saline, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How often do you use your phone in the car? Whether its to find your way around or just to call home, electronic communication devices are convenient and helpful resources. States should not ban young drivers from using their cellular devices while driving.
For example, there could be an emergency. Teenagers could be driving and one of their family members could be trying to get ahold of them. If they’re not allowed to use their phones how can they figure out what is going on? People under the age of eighteen might also need to use their electronic communication devices to call roadside assistance. There are many different issues teens could run into while driving that could force them to use their phones.
Along with emergencies there are other distractions in your vehicle. Teenagers could be messing with the radio, which is just as distracting as electronic communication devices. There could be other people in the car that are yelling or causing commotion. Plus, this law is hard to enforce. More people will end up trying to hide the usage of their phones while driving. That is even more distracting than using them out in the open.
Besides those two reasons this is discrimination. The banning of electronic communication devices is targeting people eighteen and under. Adults want teenagers to learn to be more responsible but they don’t give them the chance when they take away their rights. People under the age of eighteen took their drivers test. They are just as equally qualified to drive as adults.
Therefore, states should not have laws banning electronic communication devices. There are chances that an emergency could happen forcing teenagers to use their phones. Other things in the vehicle are just a distracting as their electronic communication devices. This is a huge discrimination among teenagers and its not fair. How can teenagers be expected to be responsible if they are treated like children?