Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage

By Natalie Schaefer BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Natalie Schaefer BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Mr. President:
Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, New York, Washington D.C., Iowa, and Washington have passed a law allowing same sex marriage. The Defense of Marriage Act was passed in 1996 and signed by Bill Clinton at the time he was President. This act referred to a marriage between only a man and a woman. However, this act excluded the gays.
On May 10, th 2012, gay marriage became legalized in eight states. According to an article gay marriage ProCon, same sex couples should be able to have the same marriage benefits. According to Pew Forum about 46% of the public is for same sex marriage, and about 44% of the public is against it. The reason the numbers for same sex marriage has increased is because of the different generations. In general, younger generations are favoring same sex marriage as opposed to older generations. There is no reason why gay marriage should not be increasing. Everyone has a right to their beliefs.
In general, democrats are for same sex marriage and republicans are opposed. One of the reasons is that republicans like tradition. It’s tradition to have a man and a woman be married. It may be most common for the opposite sex to be married. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be changed. There is nothing wrong with expressing your marriage views, even if people judge.
Segregation was established that it’s wrong to separate blacks and whites. If it was agreed upon that it’s wrong, than why is it okay to separate straights and gays. That’s being hypocritical. Civil unions provide legal rights and benefits to partners just like any other marriage. However, not every state allows this. This should be allowed in every state. This is another way for the gays and lesbians to have their own kind of commitment for each other.
Being gay is not a choice. You are born the way you are. It’s like being born with blue eyes; you don’t choose to have blue eyes it’s chosen upon you. Everyone is born differently, that’s what makes everyone unique. Whether someone is gay or straight, it was decided the day you were born, and they should be given a chance to live the life they were given.
The states views and church views are two separate things. If religion has to deal with the aspect of whether someone is gay or not, why the state should put a law against it, if it has no say in the matter. It shouldn’t. State shouldn’t have laws about banning gay marriage if they don’t deal with whether it’s right or wrong to be gay. Being straight or not is between yourself and god. Therefore state shouldn’t penalize those that are not straight.
Everyone’s background has an influence on their particular view to things. Not everyone comes to an agreement. But there can always be a compromise. Each individual has their own rights to what they feel and believe. That should not hold anyone back from loving the same sex.
Sincerely, Natalie Schaefer

I wrote this Article because i wanted to express my feelings about a topic that is commly disscussed.

on Dec. 4 2012 at 3:02 pm
Marriage is a christian event.  The bible states that marriage is between one man and one woman.  Are you really willing to defy Jesus?