The Omnipotent Exterior | Teen Ink

The Omnipotent Exterior

November 25, 2012
By peppershmepper SILVER, Wallingford, Connecticut
peppershmepper SILVER, Wallingford, Connecticut
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Don’t judge a book by its cover.” When people browse in Barnes and Noble, in addition to looking a book’s cover, they usually will read the blurb on the back of the book. Congratulations, people. We have employed the literal side of this idiom. What we have failed to do, however, is act on the figurative meaning behind it. A.K.A. The important meaning. In this sense, more often than not, we ignore the saying and do in fact judge the book by its cover. Our eyes allow us to reach conclusions about other people before even meeting them, and the way we see people and the way others see us, takes its toll on how we live our lives. Many of our decisions are based upon appearance, and for this reason, we are left with only two options. We can rebel against judgment and say, “who cares what people think”, or we can conform to societies inherent social regulations. Either way, we lose. If we conform, we are living dishonest, restricted lives. And if we rebel, to be frank, our lives will be kicked in the butt.

Think about an upper-class man headed to the bank to begin his day of work. What if he showed up in a flannel and a baseball cap? He wouldn’t. We are wired to know what is “appropriate.” We are restricted because of societies rules and we are disregarded if we don’t follow them. Rather than take the time to get to know someone, people use what is easily accessible to make their final judgments. They reach the verdict before the defendant even has time to introduce himself. Our world would be an entirely different place if we carried open-minds, and didn’t discriminate against people who fail to meet certain criteria. What car you drive, where you live, what brands you wear, and how fat you are, along with a ginormous list of finicky details about your person, create an image that can make or break you in this world. People purposely morph themselves into archetypes that they believe will help to foster smooth, successful lives. However discouraging it may sound, the reality is that people who look the part, usually get the part.

“Elevator eyes” is the term that verbalizes a moment we’ve all probably experienced many times. Someone looks at you, up and down, over and over again. You can feel eyes running up and down your body, over each crease in your face, zooming in on your outfit, scanning every inch of you. People judge us throughout our lives. In middle school, you regret wearing the pink poncho because every one starts giggling when you walk into the classroom. In high school, you can’t afford the brands that most kids are wearing, and put your head down as you feel eyes fixating on all your exterior “flaws.” As we age, the role of appearance in our lives only grows. When you’re a kid, there’s always asylum from conformity. A kid’s a kid, and under all the superficial stuff, a real connection can, and is often made between people. Maybe that’s why people always say that it’s your school friends that last with you ‘till the end. Adulthood is when you must decide; will you attempt to defy the implications of your exterior? Or will you conform to what is accepted, and settle for a life pre-destined by your surface?

People’s perceptions not only take affect in the success of others, but they can also be harmful emotionally. If you grow up, out-casted because of all that you aren’t, there’s a good chance of you becoming a self-conscious, insecure individual, where you could have become a confident, successful one. When people try so hard to be accepted, only to be rejected, they feel unworthy and ashamed. In this sense, the role of appearance in our society is two-fold. First, it builds up pressure to be a certain person. We recognize the positives that come hand in hand with beauty, and naturally, we want it. If we fail to fit the desired mold, a second affect comes into play. It is emotional. Our personalities and demeanors are affected, and we limit ourselves. Without confidence and drive, how can the people who don’t look like models and don’t drive Mercedes beat the system? That is the problem. Appearance has a tenacious grasp on its power in society.

The role of appearance is a swollen wound in our world. It’s unfair, but it’s real. Civilization has created a precedent in which a gorgeous, intelligent person will always win out over an ugly, intelligent person. It is wrong, but will continue until people can learn to see past faces and shiny cars. Once upon a time, we were cavemen and women on a wild chase for food and a mate. People didn’t go around saying, “Let’s be friends with him because he has the biggest cave.” Life was simple, but natural. Friendship should kindle based on common interest, not thrive on superficiality. Appearance dictates portions of our lives where it should have no standing. Appearance is only one ingredient, but society sees it as the majority of the cake.