Driving can deplete as early as your forties! | Teen Ink

Driving can deplete as early as your forties!

By Rozzizle BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
Rozzizle BRONZE, Sandy, Utah

Aging can is a large factor in your ability to drive. Its estimated in 2030 when all the baby boomer reach around 60 years of age they will be responsible for 25% of all fatal crashes. In 2005 drivers around the age of 60 were responsible for 12% of all fatal crashes. 25% is a large amount of drivers over the age of forty on the roads. This opens new doors to accidents.

As bodies age they are open to new conditions like Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer’s begins to decline brain function and can begin at 50 years of age. You may begin to forget things that where easy to recall before. As Alzheimer's kicks in drivers can start to forget the rules of the road and a danger to themselves, pedestrians, and other drivers. Some are lucky and do not face any signs of Alzheimer's but are still subject to lose of eyesight and hearing.

When eyes begin to age they require more light because the part of the eye that senses the presence of light (the retina) begins to weaken sending weaker messages to your brain where the image is presented. What may happen is misunderstanding of color at traffic lights, an accident waiting to happen. Peripheral vision may become narrower not allowing the driver to see street signs. With all this to be aware of some medication can help.

Although medication is made to help users it can also cause side effects. If the body is weak it will be more sensitive to the medication. As the body becomes older more watch needs to be put on medication intake as they can open new causes of accidents. Some can be caused by dizziness or blurred vision.

In a survey student drivers were asked why licenses should be taken away when they get older. Many of the drivers thought it would be best for licenses to be taken away when they receive a driving disability. Some disabilities listed included loss of concentration, eyesight issues, and heart problems. Some students said licenses shouldn’t be revoked at a certain age but there should be a retest taken.

In the United Kingdom reaching the age of 70 means taking a test to see if the individual is fit to drive again. Those who pass are then monitored every 3 years to make sure driving conditions are met. Something not here in US.

Not having a system of monitoring older drivers can put others at risk. In the US drivers between fifty-five and sixty-four cause an average of twenty-one accidents per driver. Drivers between sixty-five and seventy-four cause about twenty-two accidents. Drivers over seventy-five are the cause for thirty-two accidents. A ten person increase.

Of course the elderly cant be blamed for all accidents. In another survey student drivers were asked what they are most worried about on the roads. The majority said teens like themselves on the roads. When asked why students responded with, “Teens are always in a competition with others while driving...” “...I think its because they are not mature enough to drive.”

It is true, they are not mentally mature. The brain does not mature until around twenty-five years of age. It can be observed too! At age nineteen and under teens were responsible for about 11% of accidents during 2007. At 24 years of age young adults were responsible for 3% of accidents.

Along with maturing comes new responsibilities. At 21 years of age US citizens are allowed to drink alcohol. This can cause driving disabilities to take effect faster killing brain cells. Some choose to drive while under the influence. 33% of accidents caused in 2011 involved drivers under the influence.

As you become older you need to take care of your body as you will need it if you have plans in the future. Though some driving disabilities can’t be prevented you can help yourself from others. Stay off the road if you think you may have a driving disability.

You don’t want to be responsible for any accidents. Look after yourself as you age and you can help decrease the accidents.