Nacho Doritos | Teen Ink

Nacho Doritos

October 23, 2012
By Anonymous

I’ve always been a fan of chips, so greasy, tasty, and especially the chips that turn your fingers orange. What’s sad though is that more and more recently I’ve been seeing people who look like they have rolled around in those same Nacho Doritos and decided they looked fabulous. You can imagine how unappetizing these chips look now. There are many strange habits my generation has aquired that I do not understand but the biggest problem with my generation is the idea that “fake bake” is attractive.

I was born unable to tan. Yes, I have despised my skin at moments because of its ability to burn but I have owned my skin and the complexion it gives me. On the other hand, some people tend to abuse their ability to tan, or the ability to afford orange spray for themselves. On a heavier note, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. According to skincancer.org, over two million people are diagnosed annually. My Aunt Cindy died from melanoma when I was only two years old; trust me when I say looking “cool” with tanned skin isn’t worth it. Plus, later in life, you will look like your skin is made of “pleather”. You will also be speckled and very very wrinkly. Oh, and don’t worry about buying yourself nice clothes because you will end up ruining them anyways with whatever creams, sprays, lotions, lights, or vitamins you use to artificially add pigments to your skin.

Pop culture has definitely brain washed my generation into thinking that orange is the new beautiful. “Jersey Shore” was notoriously known for their over use of tanning products and making fun of people who weren’t dark skinned. I have to assume that they didn’t know what they were talking about because; well I mean have you ever seen that show? If my generation doesn’t figure out quick that fake tanning is awful in many ways, not only for appearance reasons but also for your health, then I wouldn’t be surprised if Armageddon came early. What’s the point of living if everyone is so self-conscience as to not be “comfortable in their own skin”? God spare us all!