Sometimes A Guy Just Has to Rant | Teen Ink

Sometimes A Guy Just Has to Rant

August 14, 2012
By Jayfatha GOLD, Romeoville, Illinois
Jayfatha GOLD, Romeoville, Illinois
12 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
NEXT TIME WE EAT A BLOOD CLOT


Teenagers don't know everything. I know some of us think we do, and I know a lot of adults like to pretend we all think we do in order to make themselves feel more superior in a "Ha, what a poor naive little thing" sort of way. As a teenager myself, maybe I'm not completely in the right to criticize some of the things that we do that aggravate me, but I'm doing it anyway because I see surprisingly few people address these things. Before I get into my various rants here, I would like to say that I don't think I know any more than anyone that I might criticize here and I am not better than anyone. Actually you know what, a lot of people reading this will probably take everything I say seriously, which is the dumbest possible thing you can do on the internet, so let me rephrase that...I am smarter and better than everyone that will read this! Let's get into all of my totally correct opinions!

Did everyone pick up on that?
Anyway, to begin, there is no such thing as a "correct" opinion. I see this most often when discussing music, so that's the example I'll use; say you're talking to someone about the experimental hip-hop group Death Grips. Their music is very polarizing so most people would probably say something like "This is just noise, it's nothing but yelling profanity into the microphone behind an annoying, glitchy beat!". As a fan of Death Grips, I can see how someone would say that. Ideally, the person saying this would follow it with "I guess it's just not my thing, I don't like it but obviously they're doing something right to have the fan base they do." but that is never how it goes. Most likely, this person would probably say "How could you listen to this garbage? This pseudo-intellectual trash for people that know nothing about 'real' hip-hop, it's just noise! Anyone who likes it must not know much about music, because from an objective point of view, this is awful.". First of all, music is 100% subjective. Anyone that uses the "objectivity" argument has no idea what they're talking about, because that would imply there is a right way to feel about whatever music is being discussed. Everyone takes in music differently, just like all forms of media. Someone could be defending or attacking the music in question, but if they insist that there is any correct way to perceive it, they're a pompous idiot.

A few more quick things about music, there is no "real music". Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't "true" or that whoever made it has no talent. It's astonishing how many people can't grasp this concept. Next, people will enjoy what they enjoy no matter what you think about it. Like if someone likes a genre such as deathcore, which has become somewhat of a trend, that does not automatically make them a sheep that only listens to it because it's popular within the crowd. Imagine that, some people might actually like music you don't? A crazy thought, I know. There are no bad genres, and there's no way for anyone to possibly know if they don't like the entirety of one genre. I know several people that say they don't like rap, when in reality they've most likely only heard what's been played on the radio. Of course you're not going to like that, not many people that venture beyond the radio once in a while do. You can't write off an entire genre, no matter how much you've heard of it. You could have heard five thousand hip-hop albums that you didn't like, but there's another five thousand that were released just this year that you've never heard. It's closed-mindedness at its finest.

Beyond music there's plenty of things that people do that I find to be ridiculous. Not just teens either, I don't mean to generalize by saying we're the only ones that do all this. Adults are just as guilty, especially of my next gripe; pretending that your religion is the be-all-end-all and that you have all the answers. It's plain ignorant to say someone else is wrong for their beliefs. You can be whatever religion you want, but you simply cannot claim that what you believe is the truth. The same goes for atheists, it's basically impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, so stop acting like you're so enlightened. Let everyone think whatever they want to think, don't act like you've got all the answers when the only proof you have is from a book you bought at Target or from the mouth of someone you've been forced to trust.

I could go on for days about all the things I don't particularly care for that people do, but I'm sure I've rambled long enough so I'll stop after this one last thing. I cannot stand when people use sheer absurdity as a replacement for a sense of humor. You're not funny because you say ridiculous things that don't make sense, or act really wildly while saying something that isn't funny. You can pretend for there to be a deeper meaning behind all the random dumb things you say, but it doesn't mean there is one. You're just saying all that because it's all you've got, you can't think of anything actually funny so you resort to outlandish behavior and call yourself "crazy" when you're nothing but uninteresting and looking for an excuse.

As I said before, I'm far from perfect. I'm not the funniest or smartest person ever, but just because I'm not perfect doesn't mean I can't point out some obvious imperfections. I'm not the first to say any of this either, but it really can't be said enough. Ah, now that was some helpful venting, I gotta say...


The author's comments:
Every day I become more and more bothered by certain things, and I felt like I had to talk about them a little bit.