Actions Speak Louder Than Words | Teen Ink

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

May 25, 2012
By DHannah BRONZE, BIRMINGHAM, Alabama
DHannah BRONZE, BIRMINGHAM, Alabama
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Bullying has been one of the biggest things to advertise and talk about around the country this past year. People have suddenly become much more aware of the issue and are trying to take action to stop it. There are books about bullying, stories on the news, commercials on TV and articles in magazines. They even get celebrities to talk about it. For some, better to say it as paid to talk about it. Yet, it still goes on everywhere. From what I’ve seen, it looks like there has been more advertisement to change than there has been change. I’m sure everyone has noticed, both bullies and victims, about all the talk that’s been going on about bullying, but we need to take the fluff out of the message and get to the real part. Bullying kills people. It wounds people. It scars them for life. It’s not just a story to tell your friends, that all gives you an interesting thing to talk about. Or a commercial on TV where stars sit on a couch and say it’s “serious”. Or an article in a public reading to provide entertainment. It’s a real thing that happens every day, in every school, on every street. We aren’t going to see a difference unless we stop advertising all the stories that happen to kids, and actually show individual bullies how their actions can kill someone, or tell victims that those people who bully them do not define them. But that they have a God who defines them, who loves them and provides all the love, attention and desire that every person so deeply craves. And if we do these things, seek these people out, then we might see a change, because a ten second commercial on TV, or a top story that flashes across news, will not motivate people to stop bullying, but actions will, for actions speak much louder than words.