Put a Stop to Bullying | Teen Ink

Put a Stop to Bullying

By Becca Horwitz BRONZE, Bannockburn, Illinois
Becca Horwitz BRONZE, Bannockburn, Illinois

Bullying is obviously a significant problem right now and has been for a long time. Half of public school principals (49%) report that bullying, name-calling, or harassment of students is a serious problem at their school. Whether you are the bully, victim, or even a bystander it is important for everyone to play their part in an important situation that should be handled seriously.There are different types of bullying including, verbal, physical, and cyber.

To see that so many kids get bullied is devastating. Depending on the situation, they all go through a different level of difficulty, but they all have one thing in common, it hurts.What can happen to the kids that are bullies, victims, or even bystanders? Their self-esteem can be lowered, it can lead to sadness or anger, bad emotions can take over their body and consume them, they can isolate themselves from school or other public areas, and worst of all, kids can commit suicide. It’s scary to think any of this can happen, but truthfully it does and that’s why we need to put a stop to it.The main thing I have noticed is that bullies, have low self-esteem which is what causes them to lash out. You don’t know a person until you walk in their shoes, so depending on the person we don’t know what happens in their life that causes them to have a low self-esteem. If bullies could speak up to their parents or an adult and get help, then they wouldn't have to lash out or feel bad about themselves.For the victim, they need to speak up and tell someone or talk to the bully and tell them to stop. If the victim did this, then they wouldn’t have to worry about dealing with mean people. Then, these kids wouldn’t get low self-esteem and lash out at others. As you can see, this is a vicious cycle that needs to be stopped. As we pull the cycle apart and address each problem in it, we can break it. As for the bystander, they can help by speaking up and telling someone.There is a huge list of things that can happen to someone who gets bullied. It’s very sad, but if more people become aware of what they are doing and how to help stop the problem then I am confident we can. If we spread awareness I’m positive we can put an end to bullying.

It was extra credit for social studies and I felt that it was importnant to do an essay on this topic. I even ended up doing a school assembly on bullying!