Change | Teen Ink

Change

May 15, 2012
By Melissa Gallagher BRONZE, Dix Hills, New York
Melissa Gallagher BRONZE, Dix Hills, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Change is something that affects our lives every day. However, it seems as though most people avoid change like it is evil. I can admit that I am not a fan of change but sometimes I wonder why I dislike it so much. As I began to think about my dislike for change, the word that kept coming to mind was “unknown”. That’s when I realized, I am afraid of change because I am afraid of the unknown.

I am greedy in the manner that I always want know what is coming up in the future. I like things to be set in their ways and remain the same forever. There is convenience and familiarity when things stay the same forever but when I really think about it, is there anything in the World that stays the same forever? I have come to the conclusion that things are constantly changing and if the world didn’t constantly change, we would not have improved at all since the cavemen. It is fair to say that change is necessary; it is just hard to deal with sometimes.

When things change, I become frustrated because it forces me to step out of my comfort zone and into the unknown. The littlest changes in my day can throw me off because I have not prepared myself for that change. Every morning when I wake up I think about the day ahead and if throughout the course of the day anything changes, it is something I haven’t prepared myself for and I get frustrated. I am the type of person that likes to have every minute of my life planned out down to the last second. I make schedules everyday and I try my best to stick to them, unless of course, a change happens.

After spending a lot of time pondering about change, I have figured out the most valuable information about change. It is inevitable. No matter how much I try, I cannot stop the clock from ticking and each day I will get older. So the best way to deal with change is to prevent what you can and accept the things that are inevitable. I cannot prevent myself from ageing so I need to accept it. I can prevent little things like changing the pen I use to take notes in school. By following this strategy of cooping, I will be able to handle myself in a more mature way while dealing with changes in my life. Although I may not like change, it is not something I have control over, so I may as well roll with the punches.