Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

April 1, 2012
By musicismylife18 BRONZE, Averill Park, New York
musicismylife18 BRONZE, Averill Park, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bullying, in the many forms it is, is harassment that damages one's confidence and, in some cases, takes lives. Bullying and cyberbullying are becoming more and more common in schools. Some people don’t realize that someone they know is being bullied and can’t always get them the help that they need. Sometimes help comes too late. Bullying is becoming a nationwide issue and it needs to be stopped.

Bullying causes so much trouble in schools, and is usually hard to notice. A lot of people don’t realize that the ones they love are being harassed. The most common place for bullying to take place is in schools, probably because the bullies think that they can blend in with the other students in crowded hallways and not be noticed. “Bullying is perhaps the most under reported safety problem on American school campuses. Bullying was once thought to be simply a rite of passage or relatively harmless behavior that helps build young people’s character. Bullying is actually now know to have long- lasting harmful effects for both the victim and the bully. Bullying can take many forms such as teasing, name-calling, tripping, intimidation, spreading rumors, destruction of property, demand for money or objects, and the list goes on.” All of these things fall under the category of physical, verbal, or physcological/emotional abuse. Bullying, no matter what kind it is, is harmful and causes damage to a person internally, and possibly externally, for life.

Bullying is overlooked as insignificant in America. But, when a problem that causes permanent damage to people, and sometimes, unfortunately, leads to suicide, the issue should get a lot more attention than it does. Bullying is a nationwide dilemma that needs to be dealt with and stopped.

The author's comments:
Works Cited
Sampson, Rana. "The Problem of Bullying in Schools." Center for Problem-Oriented Policing. Web. 8 Mar. 2012. <http://www.popcenter.org/guides/>.