Grow Up, But Never Grow Up | Teen Ink

Grow Up, But Never Grow Up

By Kianie GOLD, Westphalia, Kansas
Kianie GOLD, Westphalia, Kansas

"You are the music as the music lasts" - Stevie Wonder

Remember when we were little and we thought "Man, it's going to be so awesome when I grow up! I get to stay up late, hang out with my friends, and I get to do whatever I want!" We never realized how naive we were back then. We got to eat all the ice cream we wanted, got to take naps in the afternoon, and we could just play to our heart's content. Now that I've grown into a teenager, I've realized that growing up doesn't have all the glitz and glamour I thought it would have back when I was 7-years-old. Kids don't experience true heartbreak, hair pulling algebra problems or that feeling you get when you feel like you've lost a friend forever. No, kids just love life. Sometimes, that is the exact reason why I miss being little because all we did was love life without having any other expectations. Although, as much as I miss being a kid, growing up is also fairly positive. Growing up means that you're getting ready to face the challenges of life head on. You're no more that naive, small kid you once were. Now, you're responsible, and becoming more independant with every passing year. That might sound kind of scary, and it does now that I think about it, but growing up doesn't mean letting go of your childhood. Although, I think everyone needs to grow up at some point in their lives, we should still remain a little kid at heart. We need to keep the youthful happiness in our hearts for the future. We can remain grown up, but with that childish happiness still inside of us. We can grow up, without ever having to grow up.