Pornography a crime? | Teen Ink

Pornography a crime?

By BB2000 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
BB2000 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Sex. The activity built into the mechanics of our humanity, and has kept 99.9% of all living things around for more than millions of years. And today, the many opposing views from our society of its dos and don’ts. Pornography and adult material is one of USAs biggest but most hidden economical revenue, making an average of 9.2 billion a year, beating the pre-recorded music industries and riding beneath magazine and media. Thing like this, as well as guns and video games, do NOT hurt people. People hurt people.
Not only does it generate billions of dollars each year, but it creates jobs. No, not just the porn stars, but maybe the camera men or the set designers or the story board writers, just like any other play or production. Yeah, it may not be some people’s thing, and if it is they don’t just prance about public areas and announce it. But it’s there, and as long as it isn’t hurting anybody, than it should stay there.
Oliver Leaman, PhD in Philosophy and Professor of Judaic Studies at the University of Kentucky, answered to a site called AskPhilosophers on February 15, 2007 to the question "Why is it that prostitution... is illegal in most states while the production of pornographic movies... legal?":
"I suppose there is generally a distinction between actually doing something and doing it in order to represent it 'artistically'. Suppose for example that I set out to cheat passersby by operating a scam; then if I am caught I may be prosecuted and sent to prison. If I act in a movie in which I do exactly the same thing, I would not be charged since although I am being paid to represent something in itself illegal, the representation is not itself illegal."
Kirby R. Cundiff, an Associate Professor of Financing at Northeastern State University, wrote the April 8, 2004 article entitled "Prostitution and Sex Crimes," for the paper titled Independent Institute, that stated: "It is estimated that if prostitution were legalized in the United States, the rape rate would decrease by roughly 25% for a decrease of approximately 25,000 rapes per year....
...The analysis seems to support the hypothesis that the rape rate could be lowered if prostitution was more readily available. This would be accomplished in most countries by its legalization." But some opposers, such as Bruce A. Taylor, an Immigration Judge, said in an interview with PBS's FRONTLINE that:"If somebody made a movie, an R-rated love scene, where they were sort of naked and pretending to have sex, that's acting. But in the hardcore film, nobody's acting. It's prostitution."
Some people may accuse such actions as being unmoralistic, and that it hurts children and women, but all porn industries authorized by the USA make these companies’ sign a contract stating the people who are to act in such movies be over 18 and consented. Studies have proven that the addictions of watching pornographic videos and flipping through their magazines can cause a skewed relationship with his/or spouse, but still can be fixed. But between the addictions of watching television every day and playing video games and what not, is this really that big of an issue?
All in all porn itself not an issue, as it goes along with videogames, parts of movies, etc. There are many arguments that can prove/disprove the material is mostly corruption on society’s part. Overall there are issues more worthwhile to look at and as long as the industries have agreed to look down upon abuse, we can just leave them be and their fans be.