In the name of love | Teen Ink

In the name of love

By free-spirit BRONZE, Wilmington, California
free-spirit BRONZE, Wilmington, California

It’s one thing to be told that you are too young to be in love. It is something else to be ridiculed about who you love. No, I’m not talking about ‘Ewwww, your boyfriend’s ugly’ or ‘Gosh, your girlfriend’s such a tramp’. I’m talking about the people that get harassed by their own peers, even when they don’t have a significant other. They are the few people that are a part of a prestigious group. Only you can know if you are a part of it. They are the Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and Transgender people of the world. Everyone thinks that their life is unfair, and that when someone makes fun of them, it’s a matter of life and death. No, you are not going to die. Too many young gay and lesbian people are dying every day because they think that it’s a choice that they made and they cannot live with it. These people are not being killed by their bullies, no; they are being killed by themselves. Whoever said ‘Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me’ must not have had to deal with the constant struggle of waking up in the morning and put on a mask that says ‘Everything is going just perfect today’. Even television shows show the extent that the homosexuals take to not show who they really are. Some pretend to be homophobic, some date other homosexuals of the opposite gender, or even straight people! Is this what we want people to do to themselves? Do we want them to be ashamed of themselves in order for them to feel like they fit in? What happened to the freedom that our founding fathers fought for? What happened to ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’? Did it go down the drain when man decided to be homophobic? Did it go down the drain when people in general decided that if you are different, then you don’t belong? Did it go down the drain when we decided to allow American citizens to choose the fate of many homosexual partnerships all over? Marriage is a right, not a heterosexual privilege. I am NOT asking for world peace, I am asking for a world with people that have open minds. A world with less homophobia. The Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender (LGBT) community are all a part of the human race, and the circle of life. Let’s treat like that! And remember, Love has NO gender ?

This was written for my English final in the 10th grade. I feel that everyone, no matter who they are, should have the same rights.I would hope that people will have an open mind about this. I am an avid supporter of LGBTQ rights, and I hope this will help some people understand why their words hurt.