YouTube Bullying | Teen Ink

YouTube Bullying

December 31, 2011
By mprods BRONZE, Medford, Massachusetts
mprods BRONZE, Medford, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What happened to us in the past that was painful, has a great deal to do with what we are today" - William Glasser


So today I stumbled upon a video of a girl making a cover of the song E.T by Katy Perry. The video starts off and the girl introduces the song and gets to singing; Now this girl did not have the skills of a professional (which is true in 97% of the cover videos on YouTube anyways) and her looks might not have been what one considers ideal. But here is where I get mad.. why is it that people feel the need to comment on other's videos making fun of their singing, appearance and ect. Honestly it is simply the epitome of ignorance; first of all this girl did not once say her singing was out of this world and last I checked YouTube did not require you to be a “good singer” when you post up a video. Secondly no one in this world can judge another persons look, “to each his own” is the famous saying so why not remember that next time you come to the assumption someone is ugly. What you may consider beautiful is not I may consider beautiful and its not what she may consider beautiful so don’t act like your opinion is a fact. Lastly (and probably the one that most irked me) is the fact that thousands of people are leaving absolutely hateful comments on this girls video. Everything from “Ur singing= pain” to “kill it before it lays eggs”.. now if you don’t already see a problem with this you will when I tell you that over 9,000 people liked these comments. Again I go back to a popular phrase, which these internet BULLIES should have taken in consideration and that is: “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” Now before I get ahead of myself, start swearing and conjuring up every irritation I have when talking about internet bullying, let me make it clear that I am not saying that everyone has to enjoy what they see on the internet, no one is obligated to like any video. Nor am I trying to take away a person’s freedom of speech. It’s your first amendment right to dish out your feelings and if they happen to be in the form of venom than ok, what ever floats your boat. What I’m trying to say however, is that before you post a comment like one of the ones I mentioned, or before you like one of them (which basically means your condoning the fact that people are bashing one another for no good reason) just please remember that on the other side of that screen is a person and that NO ONE likes to hear horrible stuff be said about them. No one likes to see strangers being completely evil, it’s just not ok, period. When someone puts themselves out there like this girl did, they deserve respect and by that I mean leave them alone if you only intent on causing them pain. And for the people that will time and time again try to act dumb and say “that wasn’t what I wanted to do”.. please. Your are not fooling me, you are not fooling her, I’m pretty sure your not even fooling yourself so have a bit of respect, stop lying and stop picking on others who have done absolutely nothing to you.


The author's comments:
For some time now I've constantly been stumbling upon incidents like this one and I just needed to get my opinion down on paper (or internet).