Lessons for Politicians from Children | Teen Ink

Lessons for Politicians from Children

December 12, 2011
By HailMac BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
HailMac BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The cruelest dream, reality." The Offspring


“Children are smarter than politicians.” The more one thinks about this line, the more it seems to be the truth. While politicians are book smart and are good at weaseling their way out of tricky situations, children are far better at relationship building and using common sense. It’s sad but true, that we, the voting public, are keeping these socially stunted individuals in office by not educating ourselves on our options. And in return we continue to elect officials who violate many of the lessons that have been engrained into our conscience since kindergarten.

Keep hands, feet, and all objects to yourself.

Yes, it’s sad to say that this, one of the most simple of rules from when we were younger, has been broken countless of times by our wonderful politicians. Not only was there Preston Brooks beating Charles Sumner over the head with a cane in 1856, but many a politician since then have had issues with keeping their hands to themselves. For example, the allegations of inappropriate sexual conduct against Herman Cain during this years’ presidential election. Or, in 1995 when former President Bill Clinton had an affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Many-an-intern have fallen into the hands of our famous hormone-enraged government men.

Cheaters never prosper.

Unfortunately, due to the current statuses of many politicians, this is a lie. Politicians do whatever they need to do in order to get and maintain their statuses in office. For example, Andrew Jackson’s Spoils System, which gave positions of power to his political supporters, in 1929.Or, the accusations of the rigged election of Vladimir Putin in Russia in 2008. By rigging elections and bribing voters these con men can stay in power and abuse their power. But often they are caught, such as the recently conviced Governor Blagojevich of Illinois who tried to sell President Obama’s Senate seat to the highest bidder.

Using teamwork brings amazing results.

Even this philosophy of using teamwork, has been compromised by our political elite. Presently, the government is not getting anything done due to the hatred that the Democrats and Republicans have for each other. This lack of statesmanlike conduct has been festering since after Lincoln. For example, the deadlock over the budget earlier this year in which a proposition was only passed hours before the U.S. would have defaulted. These two parties despise each other so much, that either party will not even begin to accept anything the other proposes. This lack of teamwork is ramming our country into the ground.

Respect is an essential to happiness.

It is apparent that no politician respects anything but themselves and the money they make for dishonesty. They do not respect the environment, because if they did they would not be backing offshore drilling, and they would have regulated BP better to prevent the devastating oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Nor do they respect the newer generation. By Congress cutting the education budget, while keeping their outrageous salaries, they show the most disgusting disrespect for the newer generations by depriving them of their futures. How do they expect us to respect them when we get no respect in return?

Such a lack of both restraint and good judgment has made a mockery out of western governments around the world, especially the U.S. These unrestrained, childish actions of the people we entrust our lives, property, and prosperity, in have shown just how foolish we are in electing such officials. These actions frustrate any intelligent person, and such foolishness needs to stop. Research your candidates, vote, and take peaceful political action to force such fools out of our government. If we do not take action our government will remain a circus for other countries’ entertainment.


The author's comments:
What inspired me to write this article is the sheer unproductiveness of the U.S. government, and how our nation needs to do what it says it will do.