I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

By Leps14 SILVER, Cumberland, Rhode Island
Leps14 SILVER, Cumberland, Rhode Island

One act of kindness can save a person's life. I personally believe that if everyone does one good deed a day, then many people will be getting helped in their time of need. There are numerous injustices in the world today, and there are also countless people in need. If everyone in the world can perform one simple act of kindness, then the world will be a safer, happier place.

The Boy Scout slogan is “do a good turn daily.” This can be taken to heart, and so easily achieved. Many people do numerous good deeds for others in a day, but some people don’t do anything to help others. As a scout myself, I always try to be an enthusiastically helpful person if someone is in need. Many people do not understand this, or don’t think about it, but doing one kind deed for someone, even if it is the smallest thing, can mean so much to a person.

I once heard a story about a high school boy who was bullied and was planning to commit suicide. When he was walking home, he dropped his books on the sidewalk. One of the popular students in his school stopped to help him pick up his books, which made the boy realize that people cared about him. This story made me recognize that you never know when doing one simple good deed can turn someone's life around. That one act of kindness saved that boy’s life.
A simple act of charity can make a person’s life better. One extremely rainy day, my siblings and I helped an elderly man who was lonely and sad. His wife and his daughter-in-law had both passed away within a month. He wanted to get rid of all the clutter in his attic to sell at his church’s bazaar. He was physically incapable of moving it by himself, so we helped him. The look on his face when we were done was a priceless image that will be permanently implanted in my heart for eternity. This proved to me that it does not take a lot of work to make someone incredibly happy.
Doing a good deed does not always have to be a hassle or tiring. It can actually be fun. All you have to do is use your talents. Last Christmas, my brother, my sister and I formed a band to play for people at nursing homes. We played Christmas songs because we love seeing and hearing how happy the people are when we perform for them. When we spoke with the residents, they said that not many people visited them, and when they did, they never had anything exciting planned. One lady even said they would talk about our concert for months because it was the most thrilling event that occurred at their nursing home in a long time! They were all smiling when we arrived and showed so much appreciation for our time, energy and talents. Performing for people is fun for me and others; they like to hear the music and I like playing it.

Some people are very nice and people would do anything to help them, but others are mean and won’t help when people are in need. It seems that the nicer the person is, the more people will actually offer, and put themselves out to help the person. I have a very good friend who is very polite and respected. He is modest, smart, funny, athletic and simply the nicest person I know. I don’t know anyone who would not go out of their way to help him. Many times people say they do not want to help others, but if someone is in need, they deserve the right to be helped.
People think it might be to hard to do one kind act every day, but if they take the time to think about it, then they may realize that it probably took them longer to think about it, than to just do one simple thing, like pick up a book or help someone learn a new skill. Many times helping people can be fun and not that much work. Other times, we might not even realize we are doing something nice for a person. Doing one good deed a day should be a goal for everyone, and without to much effort, it can be achieved.

I hope that people will become nicer to one another.

Kenzie510 said...
Such a goodarticle

CoachLisa said...
on Nov. 3 2011 at 10:41 am
AWESOME article!~and exactly the way I feel...a smile goes a long way!!!

kalismom said...
What a great piece of writing. I also was trying to give it 5 stars, but 3 appeared by mistake. Sorry!! Such nice work. I hope my vote can be changed!

EC44 said...
Excellent article! Wanted to rate with 5 stars, but made a mistake on the touch, so only 3 stars posted. Sorry!