Trick-Or-Treating: An Experience That Never Grows Old | Teen Ink

Trick-Or-Treating: An Experience That Never Grows Old

By MirandaCaddell SILVER, Sulphur Springs, Texas
MirandaCaddell SILVER, Sulphur Springs, Texas
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one.

Dressed in a cheesy costume, you run up to a house with an orange, pumpkin shaped bucket in your hand. “Trick-or-treat!” you say, and before you know it, your orange, pumpkin shaped bucket is full of candy that will leave you on a sugar high until Thanksgiving.

It is Halloween.
The holiday is full of spooks and fun, and people celebrate in different ways. Some like to go to parties, some vandalize homes, some go to haunted houses, and some people, including teenagers, enjoy going out to neighborhoods during the evening in hopes of getting treats. Even so, there’s a large number of people who don’t understand why a high school or college student would ever want to spend their Halloween trick-or-treating. I say, why not?
That said, people complain that teens and young adults that go trick-or-treating are immature. Some say they’re too old, that they should go to a party or a haunted house. There are even people who refuse to give candy to those who look like they could be in the 8th grade. Even worse, there are some cities in the U.S. that ban all teenagers from the activity.

Trick-or-treating is fun and free way for teenagers celebrate Halloween. It’s safer than going to a party and getting drunk, and for some, it’s more fun than a haunted house. Plus, who doesn’t like free candy?

Teenagers are people too, and they like to have fun. Teenagers are already being pushed to grow up too fast, and they are too stressed out; what with a long list of homework, standardized tests, scholarship essays, and college applications that they must finish. Halloween gives them a chance to have a good time and not have to worry about things. Halloween is a holiday that should be enjoyed by all; not banned.

on Oct. 13 2011 at 11:56 am
JillianNora SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois

"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12

Haha! I agree! I am 16 and my parents don't understand why trick-or-treating isn't "lame" to me yet. Nothing makes you happier than free candy:D