Expect the Unexpected | Teen Ink

Expect the Unexpected

September 24, 2011
By Lauren818 SILVER, Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Lauren818 SILVER, Sagamore Hills, Ohio
8 articles 8 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Pay attention to the ordinary momenets. Open your eyes. Because you never know when something ordinary becomes extraordinary. Because the moments that take your breathe away are the moments that save your life


I have to admit that I'm not sure what I'm going to do after I graduate high school in a few months. Though I have considered just about everything from joining the Peace Corps to going to medical school, these options continue to leave me puzzled. How do you plan for the future, anyhow? Planning the future is actually a bit of a ridiculous concept. The truth is ~ plan as we might, the future is never the way we imagined it. If you had told me just six years ago that things in my life would turn out like they did, I probably would have laughed and called you delusional (given that I was only twelve at the time, but we'll just have to let that one slide). What I've recently come to realize is that life can't be planned out because things are always changing. Life tends to throw unexpected curveballs, so there's no way anyone could know how to plan out their future because the future cannot be guaranteed. Some of the best things in life are unexpected...but so are the worst. As cliché as it may sound, the only thing you can really do is take the good with the bad and hope for the best. Take pleasure in the simple things. Enjoy what you have while it lasts. What most people forget is that this life is fleeting, and they spend half their lives worrying about how to make them better instead of enjoying what other people would kill to have. And what for? That’s a good question. Why not enjoy life now, as you are? “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today,” as they say. Make memories while you can. Do something crazy. We, as mere humans, cannot not know what the future holds for us. Don’t spend so much time planning and waiting in angst of the future that you miss your entire life. Because the one thing you will always make time for later is regret.