Choices | Teen Ink

Choices

September 11, 2011
By shreydesai GOLD, Saratoga, California
shreydesai GOLD, Saratoga, California
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do."


Many people wonder these days if people's lives revolve around the choices they make. This is absolutely true. Everyone in this world is responsible for who they are today. Their choices and ideas pave the road for their future. A quote from Confucius says this, "People's lives are the result of the choices they make-or fail to make. The path one takes in life is not arbitrary. Choices and their consequences determine the course of every person's life. All people, whatever their circumstances, make the choices on which their lives depend.

Confucius is absolutely right. It is a well-known fact that if you take wrong turns in life, you will end up in a wrong state. The regular human psychology states that when a person goes and ends up in a bad state, they blame others and most of the time never take responsibility for it. Take a look at this scene, and look carefully cause this happens all the time no matter the circumstances. There is no way and it is impossible for a child who takes drugs, does alcohol, doesn't obey their parents to find themselves at an Ivy-League college. Sometimes, people change their paths along the way and somewhat improve. But if you keep going in the wrong direction for your entire life, you will not get anywhere.

Think about the people who are successful in this world. For examples, let's observe Mark Zuckerberg. He is the youngest billionaire in the world. He was focused, he was determined. In fact he was so passionate about programming that he dropped out of Harvard, the number one school in America. He used his talents, worked his choices and made Facebook. Not all of his choices were good. Some were actually bad; some choices actually got him into trouble with others.

This is where the trouble comes in. Wait if some of my choices are good, and some are bad, then what's going to happen with my life? Nothing will actually. All that matters is that the majority will overcome the system. If you have more bad than good, you are more likely to take a wrong turn. If you have more good over wrong, you will most likely take a good turn. Even I have taken wrong turns and bad choices. Everyone has. Nobody in this world is perfect. In fact, taking all good choices and all good turns in life ends up as a bad choice. Even though nobody is perfect, it's your own self that will determine your future, what you want to become, your status in life. That's why it's good to switch your determination in life if you are on a bad path.

Stick with someone and change your mood. Change your attitude, fix your choices, and keep yourself organized. If you are a person reading this essay, let's say about 12 or 13, even 14 to 18. You still have time. You have so much future ahead of you, don't give up hope cause your choices sometimes do tell your future. Sometimes these choices of yours will end you up in a bad place if you don't work hard.

A wise person, my own father once told me that it doesn't make you a bad person if you take bad choices. It makes you a bad person if you don't learn from your bad choices. He also told me that if you want to be someone when you grow up, work hard. In elementary, in middle school, and in high school, work hard so that you can build your base for the future. He concluded with me that once you pay off all your duties, go to college, and graduate, you have the rest of your life to enjoy. Whether it's doing your dream job, making millions of dollars, then retiring into a large estate.

This is called a dream. If you have more good choices in life, your dream will come to. Trust me, it's always worked before. This is my challenge to you :)


The author's comments:
After taking a bad choice and wondering how to get onto the right path, I decided I'd let the world know what choices really are.