Make a Wish, Grant a Wish | Teen Ink

Make a Wish, Grant a Wish

July 14, 2011
By ButterflySkies GOLD, Fremont, California
ButterflySkies GOLD, Fremont, California
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love you with all my butt, I would say heart, but my butt is bigger."

"Worrying won't stop the bad stuff from happening; it just keeps you from enjoying the good."


The smile on the child’s face lit up the room. For the first time since she got diagnosed with cancer, the little girl was happy. Imagine the pleasure on a child’s face when he/she receives his/her most wanted wish, whether it’s to become a firefighter or to meet a celebrity. The Make-A-Wish foundation, which grants children their most desired dream, has been able to share the happiness ever since it was created. To grant people’s wishes, they will need other people’s support and money. Make-A-Wish foundation is one of the most well-known foundations in the country, and giving your money to it is better than spending it on unnecessary items. Giving sick children a chance at happiness is one of the best things you can do.

Make-A-Wish is an excellent and highly recognized foundation. The Make-A-Wish foundation started in 1980 when a group of compassionate people granted a little boy his wish of being a policeman. He died the next day, but he died happy. Afterwards, more people joined, and now Make-A-Wish is one of the largest wish-granting charities in the world. Can you believe it? One tiny act of kindness affected the human population in a big way. Currently, 12,000 wishes are granted a year. Although there are many charities, organizations, and foundations in the world, not many are as recognized as this one. If you have not heard of this foundation before, you might be wondering, “Why should I donate to THIS specific foundation? There probably are others just like this one.” Well, foundations like Make-A-Wish don’t become famous unless it’s good at what it does and has lots of support and donations.
Wouldn’t you be pleased to see elation replace the misery on a patient’s face when his wish is granted? What if he survives and is able to pass on the joyfulness? Everyone deserves happiness no matter what. Having a dream come true will become an unforgettable memory for the patient, and being so happy might inspire the child to overcome the obstacles in front of him. Even if the child ends up passing away, you’ll know that he had one last happy memory. His family and friends would also be relieved because they know their child died blissful. If the child ended up surviving, which is even better, he would appreciate life a lot more, and would also contribute back to the foundation that had given him so much. For example, if Make-A-Wish helped a boy who had leukemia, then survived, he will be very grateful and will want to give back to the organization anyway he can. Donating money or skills could be one way he could help, and by doing that he can affect other kids’ lives. It’s like a chain reaction. The more you give, the more you get. The cheerfulness and compassion can be passed on, and more people will be affected each time. The kindness of people results in great things. Realizing that there are people in the world, even strangers who actually care, will cause a patient’s delight of receiving a wish to increase even more.

Instead of spending money on unnecessary items, the right thing to do would be to donate to the Make-A-Wish foundation. Consider all the many incredibly sick kids in the world, ranging from ages two-and-a-half years old to eighteen years old. Many of them probably think, “Dying seems better than all the agony I have to go through. There’s nothing to look forward to.” Pretend you’re depressed, legless, and stuck in a hospital bed due to a major car crash, and the only thing you want is to be able to walk again. Then, Make-A-Wish makes walking possible for you by giving you a prosthetic leg! The happiness. The tears. The laughter as you take your first step. Imagine yourself surrounded by all those emotions. All those things will make you know that there are causes worth living for. Donations and kindness are what makes that possible. Helping people to be happy might give them enough hope to face all the challenges in front of them so they can live! Life is a precious thing, and saving one is the best thing you can do. All the money you spend on clothes, electronics, and trips could be used to save a life, or at least make one worth living for. Donate anything; money, cars, or even your skills! Wishes are being made and granted all over the world. Knowing that you are the person who helped make his/her wish come true will make you feel satisfied, happy, and certain that you did the right thing. If you were in a poor little child’s place, I bet you would certainly want others to help make your wish come true. Imagine all the suffering a patient with a severe medical condition has to go through. In some cases, surgery has to be done, which results in big bills to pay. Plenty of stress is put on both the patient and the family. There are just lots of pain, wasted time, and unhappiness. Being able to help by donating and giving the patient the gift of happiness will definitely make you feel a lot better.

You might be thinking, “If this is a famous foundation, then it must get a lot of sponsors. Shouldn’t I donate to other smaller foundations that need more money than this one does?” Even though Make-A-Wish is a popular foundation, it doesn’t mean it needs less money. In fact, it probably needs MORE than others because it helps a lot more people than other organizations do. Besides, most of the other smaller charities are not as good. You never know what they might be doing. If they aren’t well-known, their cause probably isn’t as important or is not as beneficial. They could even be scamming people out of their money! The better choice will be to help a bigger organization, such as Make-A-Wish, so your money is put to good use and Make-A-Wish could help more people.

Children with critical medical conditions are suffering in the world, and each of them just wants to be happy. The Make-A-Wish foundation does just that by granting each of them their one true desire, and to do that, they need assistance and money, so you should definitely donate! Make-A-Wish is a recognized foundation, and their cause is a superb one. Think of all the happy smiles you’d bring just by donating, which is the right thing to do. Contributing to Make-A-Wish could change someone’s life, or even save one! Every little action counts. Go out there and make a difference by going on http://www.wish.org/help/donate and donating!