Euthanasia; What is moral?

Imagine you are lying in a hospital bed. Your breath is heavy; multiple needles simultaneously drip drugs into your system. It has been going on for months. Your only question is; when will this stop? You are constantly in pain and there is no cure. You just feel like… dying.
Euthanasia is the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma. When a patient is in a great deal of pain and their doctor has agreed to perform euthanasia, a great dose of anesthetics is injected into the patient, causing them to essentially sleep, forever.
Many people see only the cons in this topic. People say euthanasia (also known as physician assisted suicide) devalues human life and physicians and other medical caregivers should not be involved in directly causing death. Others see only the good in euthanasia. They say it provides relief for extreme and incurable pain. They also say that euthanasia frees medical funds to other people.
Personally? I see no harm in euthanasia. If one is in a great deal of pain and cannot stand their life, I see it as their decision. I see it wrong when they are pushed into euthanasia or are wrongfully informed about other medical options.
Many religions believe that doctors who will perform euthanasia are “Satan’s workers”. They feel like they can give religious relief to the patient. But what if the patient doesn’t believe in religion or being religious. Nothing they can do about that can they?
Again, it’s the patient’s choice. It is their life and I believe that they should choose when and how to end it.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

ArgonElement said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:13 am:
Agreed. I mean all they see is someone being killed. Why can't they see it is freeing them from medical bills and even more pain. I think only if the disease or tramua is completely uncureable, that is only when this should be applied.