Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage

By Matt Peskin BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Matt Peskin BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Gay Marriage
Gay Marriage is a highly controversial topic in the world today. Many people say that people should be able to marry whoever they want. People view it mostly as a religious thing because most Christians are against it. However there are both religious and non-religious reasons why gay marriage should be outlawed.

The first major reason people are against gay marriage is because of religion. Most forms of Christianity are against gay marriage because of the fact that in Genesis 2:24 it says “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.” But people who are atheist/ agnostic say that the Bible isn’t true and disregard anything it says. Many of the other religious arguments would be unnecessary because of that fact.

Even though most of the arguments against gay marriage are religious, there are still many that are not religious. First of all the divorce rate in heterosexual marriages is 50% of first marriages, legalizing gay marriage would just increase those figures. Another reason why gay marriage shouldn’t be legal is the fact that they can not procreate and would shift the focus from raising children to adult approval. Legalizing gay marriage would just cause more problems for everyone.

Even with gay marriage being prohibited many couples can be gay and still be together. One way they can do that is by being a “couple” but not being married in a legal sense. Many couples have a second wedding that has no legal sense but more of an emotional one. Gay couples can do that anytime they want; there is no law forbidding that.

In conclusion, gay marriage should remain prohibited and not recognized as a legal marriage. Also all current domestic partnerships should be revoked. Many Civil Rights authorities such as the ACLU find that every person should have the same rights, but they shouldn't be granted those rights . Sure, Religion does play a very important role in marriage but in many cases pure facts show that it would cause more problems.

Very conservative and religious teen
teens need to know not to eat everything our liberal govt. shoves down their throat
IM NOT HOMOPHOBIC im tired of people saying i am!!!
Ps this is a highly liberal site so i doubt this will get published

on Jul. 10 2011 at 12:01 am
Celena Ashcar BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
gay marriage is completely okay. what if it was weird for opposite sexes to attract to one another.. what would we all do then? we cant choose how to feel or who to love.. it just happens. 

Elluhhhh BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Be yourself because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter" -Dr. Suess

Love is love. You can't tell somebody what to feel.