Just Because. | Teen Ink

Just Because.

By Maybe BRONZE, Queens, New York
Maybe BRONZE, Queens, New York

Just because I might want to cover my hair with cloth doesn't mean I'm a terrorist. Just because I pray five times a day doesn't give you the right to mock me. Just because they are very loose strands that connect me to the sick people that bombed the Twin Towers doesn't mean you can profile me.

In a world where ideas and thoughts and statements and creativity bloom on digital screens instantly, it's hard to forget what's real and what's not. After Osama Bin Laden was killed, spam links of "real" pictures spread across Facebook like wild fire. As a Muslim teenager in America, I had people, people who I thought were my friends instant message me ignorant hateful things like, 'Sorry your dad is dead. Guess you have to go swimming for the funeral'. Just because I have tan skin and dark hair, these people assume that I must be related to a terrorist. Don't. It's not right. It's not okay.

Just because I have faith doesn't mean you can disrespect it.

Jasmine7 BRONZE, Cecil Lake, Other

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Maya Angelou

Agreed- but it's the same for every religion.  Because I say I am a Christian, people judge me as a hypocrite since their neighbor acts like one. Because I am a Christian, people assume I am part of every side-cult to hit the news. it's ridiculous!

Kelly-In-Wonderland GOLD, Westfield, New Jersey

One of my best friends is Muslim, and we live a town where many kids in our grade lost parents due to 9/11. All in all, it's a touchy subject for everyone. I totally understand your message and I think many could learn from it.

Also, the writing is pretty great as well.