Fat Girl Hate

My whole life, I have never been defined as anything but Different. Different and Fat. Different, Fat and Weird. But being defined as this, people got this idea in their head, this idea that I was this strong person. This idea that I was ok with who I was, that I never wanted to change. And, with all honest, they were right. I did not want to change who I was, but rather, what I looked like.

While I was being defined as those things, I defined myself as Ugly. Ugly and Fat. Ugly, Fat, and Weird. All of these things were being built up against me, saying that I looked like I didn’t belong anywhere. While that should have made me stronger, and in some aspects it did, I only ever felt like I was becoming more and more weak.

I often compared myself to all those skinny girls, and that is probably the worst thing I could’ve done to myself.

There was this boy. This boy was popular, fit, and he was weird. Yet, being weird, he was liked and he fit in. You have to understand that I never thought those two things could co-exist together. So of course, I began to feel attraction to the boy.

You probably already know where I am going with this, but I’ll spell it out anyways. This boy, it was probably just my imagination, started showing signs that he liked me. I had always considered myself good at picking up those signs, so I thought I was, just maybe, a little pretty.

Then there was this girl, the type of skinny girl who wore too much make-up and had no personality. You know the kind? Well, of course the boy liked that girl, and I, of course, was heart broken.

Even though I considered myself ugly and fat, I thought I had a pretty good personality. People always told me I was easy to talk with, become friends with, that I was always nice, and that, being weird, I was funny. I always pin pointed the boy to like a girl with a personality, who didn’t inhale as much make-up as that other girl did.

But, as always, the skinny girl wins the battle. And I couldn’t help but think that, maybe if I was skinny, he would’ve liked me.

Have you ever hated what you looked like on the outside? Hated that you could feel that there was a skinny girl inside, just trying to claw her way out? Hated how you could feel your fat smothering her back inside? I did. Everyday.

I was only 15 years old, and I was at war with myself. I felt as if no one noticed that I was sad, not even my parents. But as the year went on, sure, I still had a crush on that boy, but I noticed how I did fit in. That I had my own little group of friends and that, weird or not, I was this independent, strong person, and I liked who I was.

Looks shouldn’t matter. But they do. They do to every 15-year-old, and probably to just about anyone. That’s life. All I want is for everyone to notice how its not your looks that define who you are, rather, what you do and how you act.

If I could ever get just one word out there, it would be Inspire. I want to inspire people to be who they are, no matter the cost. I want those people to inspire others. But most importantly, I want to inspire girls who, just like me, don’t like how they are on the outside, but teach them to Love what’s on the inside. Because that’s what really matters.

HarryPotterLover30 said...

When i first read this, I felt like i wanted to cry, becausewhen i was younger i would be made fun of and called stupid, ugly, nerd, fat, idiot. It sucked. I think you gave a really good post and i salute you. Like Hothers said, i sometimes look in the mirror and find something wrong i hate it, but its true. Thank you . For thsi inspiring piece.

I'm inspired. Really :)

HopefulWolfThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Yes, it's hard for me to love myself inside when I cannot even look in the mirrir confidentally. Not to mention all the negative media toward overweight/ugly girls.

Thanks for inspiring me! This was a joy to read.

RawrLnRawr replied...

I have the exact same problem (as you've read), everything around is just saying that we don't fit in. Well screw em! Just be you and learn to love you, because this is who you were meant to be.

I know its hard to look in that evil mirror sometimes, beilive me, i know, but try little things to help. For every bad thing you pick out about yourself, pick out a good thing and yourself and only focus on that. It helps.

Keep your chin up! <3

kari-kiwi said...
May 22, 2011 at 2:43 am
I completely agree with your philosophy! I'm still in high school and still have to deal with all things that come with it. I've never really liked the way I looked and it seems I can always find something wrong with myself. At the same time I can find something I like about the way I look. I know what you mean about the skinny, too-much-makeup, popular girls getting everything and it drives me crazy too. And I want you to know that you’ve inspired me. :)

RawrLnRawr replied...
Thank you so much for reading this, it means alot. Keep your head up high and don't let anything  or anyone get in your way of what you want in life. <3

kari-kiwi replied...
Don't let anything knock you down either! :) I hope that you will inspire people through this article!!!