Death To The Death Sentence | Teen Ink

Death To The Death Sentence

“To us, our brother was murdered right in front of our eyes.” Said Billie Jean Maybur, the brother of a murderer. The death sentence has paralyzed families since the beginning of civilization. And yet, even in the twentieth century, we are still using this form of horrific punishment. Why in our free country should this be acceptable? The death sentence should not be used or allowed anymore. It has led to and will lead to the deaths of innocent citizens; if is cruel and unusual punishment; and there is no proof that it is effective.

The first reason it should be stopped is because the Death Penalty has killed innocent people in the past and will continue to do so. According to the death penalty Information Center, there have been over 9 probable innocent citizens that have been executed since 1989 and possibly more. Also, innocent people have been released from death row. “Since 1973, 138 people in 26 states have been released with evidence of there innocence” (Death Penalty Information Center). The number of people who have been exonerated from death row in the last 37 years has hone up (Death Penalty Information Center).This is because of mistakes by the court.

The next reason the death penalty should be abolished is because it violates the United States constitution. More specifically, it violates the Eighth Amendment. The Eighth Amendment states that there shall be no cruel and unusual punishment, and the death penalty breaks the law because America has /prided itself on being free and the land of opportunities. The penalty strips citizen’s rights away. The courts have discussed this issue multiple times and in 1972, the Supreme Court went against the state of Georgia saying that being executed is like being struck by lightening. However, the accuser going against capitol punishment lost 5:4 (“The Death Penalty”). Finally, on June 2, 2002, The Supreme Court has ruled that a mentally retarded person can not be executed because he/ she might not have full control over their actions(“Death Penalty”). If the mentally retarded can not get the death penalty, the same should apply with the rest of us.

The final reason the death penalty should be gotten rid of is because there is no proof that it prevents crime. Over the last 7 years, the percentage of crime has either risen or has stayed the same (F.B.I Uniform Crime Reports). This means the death penalty is not doing its job. According to a study by Nation Master, the United States has the highest crime rate of any country in the world. So why do we still use it? A recent study by Amnesty International has found that 137 different countries have done away with the sentence. This means that 137 countries around the world have realized that it does not stop crime. Only the United States and a few countries in Africa still use capitol punishment (Nation Master). Finally, the death penalty does not serve justice by taking another painful and inhumane death. Crime will not be stopped just by killing someone. “The pain of losing a loved one by the horrible act of murder is not lessened by the horrible murder of another…”, said a victims mother, Antoinette Bosco (“Should He Die?” Current Events Magazine).

The death sentence should be not allowed or used any longer in the U.S. It is very hard on the families involved, and it is violating the Eighth Amendment. There is no proof that it is effective in preventing crimes which makes it totally and utterly useless. The Death sentence is of no use and is just making people miserable and is not stopping crimes. It is time to put this terrible act to bed, death to the death sentence!

I thought that This was An issue that needs to be talked about.